Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I planned to install modern air conditioning in my Montreal but then I sold the car, but kept the parts I had purchased. I found a parallel flow condenser just the size I needed (13"x 22", or 33cm x 56cm) at an auto junk yard here in the U.S. We have junk yards that allow you to wander around and find what you need. As it turned out it was also exactly the same size to use in my Alfetta GTV, and I went on and finished the job.

I do recall there is a center divider plate in front of the radiator on the Montreal that I would have removed, modified, or otherwise relocated so the condenser and fan(s) would fit behind it. I think the conversion would have worked out very satisfactorily especially since the Montreal "cabin" is pretty small. The Alfetta cabin and windows are larger but it cools very well.

All the other components (except the electric fans) were sourced from vintageair.com here in the U.S., and they have a lot of information and a complete catalog on their website. Yes, my system uses R134a coolant. I installed Vintage Air's smallest evaporator assembly behind the dash which meant throwing out all the Alfa parts but the V.A. system includes a new heater core with defrost as well as cooling. Yes, it was a lot of work, but worth the effort.

Vintage Air says the important things are to use the largest condenser that will fit, and to block off all outside air coming into the cabin.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Control Plate makes little or no sense...

Hi, I am the novice with my Montreal and I need to help. How should I control the levers and controls when I want to cool or warm?
Thanks
JR
JR, maybe you'll see this reply to your old message. For Air-conditioning you want to set both levers to the full right side. (To demist temporarily blend heating and cooling for a few minutes at a time)

For heat, (neither available escutcheon plate makes much sense) the top lever controls the heater valve, you want it set to the left for full heat or move it toward the right to regulate or turn off the heat.

The bottom lever controls cabin air recirculation when set full right 'INT' (Interior Recirculation) or to the left 'EST' (Vent). The blower fan is only used for recirculating cabin air and the lower control lever should not be pushed fully to the EST (Vent -outside air) position when the fan is operating (or the fan motor is operating more or less in a closed box).
See Alfa Romeo Montreal the Essential Companion p. 120

Mark

21 - 22 of 22 Posts