Alfa Romeo Forums banner

A/C compressor

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Richard2 
#1 ·
I don't suppose anyone has a pic of how an A/C compressor mounts on a 2L? I bought a system from a Spyder that I want to put on my 1973 Berlina. The condenser and evaporator are fairly straight forward, but there is this huge bracket with a pulley that the compressor bolt to and the whole thing bolts to the engine, but where? The compressor has a double pulley and the idler has a single one.

#3 ·
Thanks, that doesn't look anything like my compressor. In fact, it doesn't look like a compressor at all, but it's in a location where mine might fit. I'll take a look.

#4 · (Edited)
A/C Compressor

You might try contacting Bill Gillham! He was kind enought to talk about the A/C conversion he did in his Super for the AROO club recently. Wish I could remember more of the details, but it was quite impressive for a rather complicated job. He is listed here under Hooligan Racing for contact information: http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_AlfaWBLAS.html

PS: He provided a hand out page of parts sources, but I'm out of town, so be awhile before i could find it.

#5 ·
Compressor

Richard:

Is yours a Sanden radial compressor?

I have a blend of factory bracketing and idler, coupled to a New Sanden style compressor, and a single belt. The double pulley on the compressor is to give you either an option for twin belts, or in the case of an Alfa, the use of the outer pulley channel to mate up with the idler mounted on the bracket, and the pulley on the crankshaft. Here's the rub, the pulley on the crankshaft is probably a single pulley, driving the fan and the alternator.

You'll proably need to have a machine shop fabricate a double pulley for the crankshaft, that will run the alternator and fan on the inner pulley channel, and the AC compressor on the outer pulley at the crankshaft and the compressor. You will need to source/fabricate spacers that will go between the bracket attached to the engine block and the idler pulley. This has to be spaced in line with the AC compressor pulley channel and the outer channel on the crankshaft.

I'll try to chase some pics for you. If you're using a 70's vintage, old piston compressor, you should swap out to a Sanden radial unit. Many think the New sanden style unit, which is $40 or so less than the Sanden, is as good/better than the Sanden. I don't believe it. I have vibrations in mine, and look forward to swapping out my New unit for a Sanden unit.

Here's a decent source for AC components, and a good source for tech assistance.

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/getcategory.php?cat=41

#6 ·
AC Pics

I had a blend of factory Alfa bracketing and idler, mixed with an aftermarket set of condensor, dryer, interior fan unit and compressor. Here are some pics of the result, and my comments. First note the bolts by which the main bracket is attached to the block. The idler is attached to this main bracket as seen on the second row image on the left. You might also notice the fan shroud has to be trimmed in order for there to be room for the idler pulley and belt. Picture on the second row right shows the radial compressor... which doesn't have a low pressure switch. This install essentially turns the system on and keeps it on. As the condensor is small, I have been told there is not enough pressure/temperature differential between the top and bottom of the condensor, which puts strain on the compressor. So I typically run the AC when I'm on the highway... then all is well. Note the dryer and hose set up. The first install had a straight link from the compressor to the upper connection of the condensor... which vibration caused the failure of the condensor (it's copper and soft) at this connection. Putting a longer line and loop in place isolated the condensor from the vibration and movement. the third row pic on the right shows how washers were added on the idler moutning bolt, to align the belt using the idler. Finally, not the absense of a battery in the front. The battery has been moved to the trunk. This is a must for AC installs.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

#7 ·
Hi,

Very nice and clean installation you have done. I wonder if Giulias had factory equipped A/C units back then.

Could you post any pics from the evaporator side of the A/C setup? How is the evaporator unit mounted underdash.

I have to make a point here. As I can understand there is no provision in order to control compressor operation with the help of a trinary valve (cycle on/off). I think you should add a trinary valve in order to control condenser fan and compressor clutch operation; lack of this safety feature can add extra load to the compressor and eventually parts of the A/C system fail.

Please don't consider that I pick on your work. I recently had a factory A/C unit salvaged from a donor car and installed it on my Alfa; I did read a lot regarding A/C system operation safety features and your setup makes me wonder :confused:

You may see the A/C setup in http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk under the manual area contents.

Regards

#9 ·
Cycling

The evaporator unit seems to have such a cycling feature, triggered by the coolness setting. There is also a temperature circuit, where the power to the AC compressor is cut-off, in the event the radiator coolant reaches 100 degrees centigrade.

I'll try to get a photo of the fan/evap unit mounted on the passenger side of the interior. I live in the Jacksonville, FL area, and though it is very hot in the summer, I rarely use the AC unless I'm on the highway. With all of the windows down, there is enough air circulation to keep me sufficiently comfortable. I do often wonder how folks with convertibles are able to stand the heat when motionless at stoplights or in traffic.

#8 · (Edited)
Ish...Yep, exactly what I'm looking for. Nice setup. Thanks for the pics. It looks like you moved the radiator overflow bottle also?

I have a Sanden compressor and am just finishing up putting the battery in the trunk. My evaporator came from a Spyder along with the condenser. I'm not sure I'll use the condenser as it looks small. I've got a complete 164 A/C system, but I think that condenser is too big.

#10 ·
Condensor

There's not much room for the condensor. Mine is located directly in front of the radiator. It is something like 18 in wide and 11 in tall. It mounts perfectly with sheet metal screws in front of the radiator. The units are literally mounted front (radiator) to back (condensor).

#11 ·
It looks like the bracket bolts to the head. I don't see anywhere to attach it to my head. There are 2 very large plugs, probably for the cooling jacket. Is that where it attaches?

#12 ·
Yes; the two bolts on the front of the head are studs on large bases that thread into the core plug bosses where the big allen screw plugs normally are.

On the original type compressor, there was also a bracket at the back that attached to the front exhaust stud on the head to stablize the compressor from the rear. I don't know if the modern, smaller type shown above needs that support. The original installations were a real blacksmith operation.

I don't believe Giulias ever came with AC, but can't say definitively.

Andrew

#13 ·
Hmmm, I thought so. I don't suppose anyone has the plugs for the head that accept the A/C mount bracket? You know, the ones your using for paper weights?

#15 ·
Richard,

Glad to see you were able to get the information you needed. I have been looking into adding A/C to my wife's '72 Berlina off and on since we got it last year. A friend gave us some parts off a Spider, but I discovered the bracket for a Spider doesn't work for our car, since it interferes with the radiator hose. Of course the engine being a TwinSpark from an Australian Milano (Alfa 75) does complicate things. Fortunately I think the Berlina bracketry will work with the TwinSpark, since that is how the A/C was mounted on the 75 the engine came from.

Can you give me information on the kit you purchased?

Thanks,

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.