Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips on separating the compressor from the engine without cracking open the A/C lines?

I'm pulling the motor and I don't want to have to deal with evacuating the system.

The whole area is covered in years of oil from a leaky head gasket so there might be bolts/nuts that I don't know about or see.

I've done a search and could not find any how-to's, just people referencing that they had to remove the compressor.

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I removed my compressor a few weeks ago. You have to remove the 4 bolts that mount it to the bracket. I had a hard time just getting it out of the engine bay even with the hoses disconnected. Once I pulled it out, I was able to remove the bracket mounted to the engine.

It sounds like you just want to remove it from the bracket and then remove the engine. I am not sure what kind of space issue you will have. The compressor is big, heavy and bulky. I wouldn't leave it handing on the hoses.

Sorry, that is all I can tell you.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I finally figured it out, although I don't know how its possible with the engine fully seated.

I got the other 3 bolts out with some grunt and the last bolt (bottom-front) was a huge PITA since the pulley is in the way so you can't put a socket on it. After some swearing and wrench-slipping knuckles, I finally persuaded the last bolt/nut to let loose. It's currently zip-tied to the radiator support bracket to keep it out of the way and also to keep the compressor from pulling on the old hoses.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll be getting into mine soon as I'm making a pair of slotted brackets for the top bolts so I can adjust belt without screwing with the crank pully.

I've been into it once already and with radiator out it's not impossible to get that bottom bolt, but I think it's less of pain to do as you said and just disconnect the motor mount and raise the engine a couple inches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts