Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there's nothing better than tooling around in your alfa and you see a fellow alfisti...give a thumbs up, a wave, a frantic yell....

I'm not even opposed to a good wave to a comrade in arms...say a tr4 or an mgb or a fiat spider....

but today I'm cruising in the spider, top down, great weather, work is over. then a guy in the opposite direction driving a miata gives me a huge grin and a thumbs up. well, I was taken aback...not an alfa, not a italian or british comrad, but a miata? well, I stopped short, pulled the thumb back.

does that make me an elitist alfisti or are they in our club? granted they are a roadster, and generally nice rides, good handling and the like....

but just don't get the same feeling...

have others snubbed the thumb?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sorry, I welcome Miatas. They started the resurgance of the roadster in America.

In fact I welcome any roadster who actually runs top-down as God intended.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
So, there's nothing better than tooling around in your alfa and you see a fellow alfisti...give a thumbs up, a wave, a frantic yell....

I'm not even opposed to a good wave to a comrade in arms...say a tr4 or an mgb or a fiat spider....

but today I'm cruising in the spider, top down, great weather, work is over. then a guy in the opposite direction driving a miata gives me a huge grin and a thumbs up. well, I was taken aback...not an alfa, not a italian or british comrad, but a miata? well, I stopped short, pulled the thumb back.

does that make me an elitist alfisti or are they in our club? granted they are a roadster, and generally nice rides, good handling and the like....

but just don't get the same feeling...

have others snubbed the thumb?
Why dump on the guy, just because he's driving an 'inferior' car (one that could probably run circles around yours on a race track, assuming both are stock..)?

The guy gave you a compliment, a wave, or a thank you, would not be out of order.

I was driving my (class H dominating!) Berlina today, and a pedestrian called out a compliment. I slowed down and thanked him. Personally, I think anybody that pays it a compliment, whether they know what it is or not, deserves a little recognition!

I guess you're an elitist Alfisti! What happened, did some Ferrari owner snub you years ago?

bs

·
Administrator
17,364 Posts
I'd wave or give a thumbs up, even to a Miata.

Back in the day (as they say), it used to be that Jaguars only waved to Jaguars, Healeys only waved to Healeys (and to Jags if the Jag waved first), Triumphs only waved to Triumphs (and to Jags & Healeys if they waved first) and MG's only waved to MG's (and to Jags & Healeys if they waved first and maybe to a Triumph...). Now doesn't that sound dumb? We're all in this together. No need for snobbishness. Don't worry, Be happy!

And of course then there is the motorcycle wave. Most motorcyclists wave to other motorcyclists. Except many Harley riders don't wave except maybe to other Harley riders. (I suspect it's because they're afraid the handlebars will fall off if they let go...!)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nowadays--'round these parts--anyone runnin' sans top gets two big thumbs up. It's hot...jungle hot! I don't see anyone top down 'cept me. (feelin' a bit woozy...)

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I remember in 1956 as a kid going up 101 to Santa Barbara in my dads 56 VW bug, if you saw another bug you waved frantically as you were driving something special then. That tradition carried on well into the mid 60's until there were VW's all over. We used to do that with Alfa's but we hardly see any more out like we used to. Now you mostly see Alfa's at events. The Alfa Spotter thread is a good one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am with you guys on this...Yesterday I was waved by a GTV 90s model. The guy seemed extremely happy to see a spider on the road. I greeted back with a smile on my face. ;)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I'll wave/greet/thumbsup/whatever to a miata, but they have to initiate it by doing it to me first :) I'm not snobbish persay, but I do demand the modicum of respect for driving the older, more stylish, sexier Italian car that you don't see 15 a day of.

I'll never wave at a Vette, (nor will they to others), and Harleys were never a concern onnaconna if they were unfreindly, I'd just show them how embarassing it was to get stomped all over the road in top end, acceleration and handling by a (then) 30-odd year old Triumph TR6SS while they were riding thier pimped out with every bit of chrome off the shelf with over 2x the engine dispacement and weight and only a handful of hp more that cost more than my house pig, I mean hog. ('How's it feel to get your arse handed to you by an antique, and aren't you glad you laid out that much cash for the priveledge?' LOL)

However it was beers all around for the freindly ones. (Triumphs don't leak oil in the biker bar parking lot, they mark thier territory.....)

OT tangent on convertables in general:

Has anyone else noticed the fading trend that used to be fairly common between convertables and truckers out on the highway?

There used to be a day when you had a girl in the passenger seat and as you'd pass a trucker, she'd flash her boobies and everyone had a good time with waves and smiles.

Nowdays with all the 'Girls gone (whatever)' vids on the market, you just can't find a girl that's willing to do that for a 'mere' truckdriver.

C'mon girls, support your local heavy hauler buds out there on the road and make everyones day while doing it!

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Since the resurgence of convertibles in the US, they have become quite common and it is difficult to decide who to extend your greetings to these days.
The bottle-blond in a Mercedes 500SL is probably using it as a fashion accessory and may not rate a wave. Indeed, in the past the Miata was popular simply because it was the exception on American roads: an affordable, fun, tossable ragtop. People lined up for them simply because of the novelty.
Today, the Miata driver is more likely to be interested in spirited or pleasure driving, and not novelty. So I wave to them.

If it is difficult to muster the will to do a proper wave, the farmer wave might ease you into the habit: Right hand near the top of the wheel, leave the hand on the wheel and lift the index (I said index) finger as you pass.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I wave to anyone in a convertible wi the top down, plus people in neat cars- 60s Muscle cars, bikers on neat bikes etc-

·
Registered
325 Posts
As a matter of fact the Miata is on the list of roadsters I hope to add to the collection someday (along with the Boxster and Z3). A friend owns a Mazdaspeed Turbo and I've told him to let me know first if he ever decides to sell it.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Imatation is the greatest form of flattery. I wave to imatation Alfas (miatas) all the time especially if they are sans top. :D

Drew

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I think it's very simple....if anyone waves, it's nothing more than just courteous to wave back, whatever the car. I would not initiate the wave to a Miata driver, but would certainly wave back

·
Registered
94 Posts
maybe he has a spider at home
I wave at all things Alfa when driving the Spider, and I would consider it rude not to wave back at a fellow roadster driver. I sometimes forget myself and wave at Spiders even when in my Fiat Multipla. Unfortunately most people are to busy laughing at it to wave back :-D (Except fellow Multipla drivers of course.)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd wave or give a thumbs up, even to a Miata.

Back in the day (as they say), it used to be that Jaguars only waved to Jaguars, Healeys only waved to Healeys (and to Jags if the Jag waved first), Triumphs only waved to Triumphs (and to Jags & Healeys if they waved first) and MG's only waved to MG's (and to Jags & Healeys if they waved first and maybe to a Triumph...). Now doesn't that sound dumb? We're all in this together. No need for snobbishness. Don't worry, Be happy!

And of course then there is the motorcycle wave. Most motorcyclists wave to other motorcyclists. Except many Harley riders don't wave except maybe to other Harley riders. (I suspect it's because they're afraid the handlebars will fall off if they let go...!)

Maybe Harley riders don't wave because they want to keep their hands on the handlebars so that they can react to distracted Alfa drivers from NC who are not paying attention to the road because they are too busy waving at everyone else :)

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Waving? Nah...most likely looking down while text messaging! ;) Most waves I get from people are obscene when I blow by them in the 164. :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'll wave to just about anyone who waves first, it's just the nice thing to do. I have been a bit disappointed in my 280ZX when I've seen other Z's (usually much nicer than mine) and I grin and wave and they either don't notice or just ignore me. Perhaps because my Z is rather rough. :/ I did get honked at by a fellow '79 a few months ago in Tucson....I heard the familiar tone, then just about that time a nice black '79 280ZX zipped by. :)

Anyway, another thing to keep in mind when Mr. Boring in his Buick sedan decides to wave at you in your Alfa: you never know what he's got in his garage at home. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Smile

I'm sorry but is called common courtesy!!

Here's a quick def:
Given or done as a polite gesture
excellence of manners or social conduct; polite behavior

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
There used to be a day when you had a girl in the passenger seat and as you'd pass a trucker, she'd flash her boobies and everyone had a good time with waves and smiles.
Flashbacks right there, yup, I remember those days! Far and few between now a days.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts