Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the weather's finally warming up so I thought it was time to start the disassembly of my 1969 GTV. She's a US spec 1969 GTV that was built January 10, 1970 so she's just had her 40th birthday! Her original color was Dutch Blue but has apparently had a VERY thorough respray to red at some point in her past. And YES, she will be repainted Dutch Blue!:D

Houston GTV 1.jpg

Houston GTV 4.jpg

Hopefully it won't be too awfully long before she drives out under her own power again.
GTV in garage.jpg

One of the few places where the original Dutch Blue can be seen is where brake fluid leaked and peeled the red paint.
Brake fluid reservoir.jpg

For more overall photos look here.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first order of business is the remove the interior. The PO made a mess out of the dash and console. The Alfa script will move back to the trunk lid and the correct switches will be re-installed. Any one know where I can find a decent dash?
no seats.jpg

I was relieved to find the original doors are in good condition.
door without panel.jpg

How's this for a rust free door?
door interior.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I removed the rear panels and found these so-called speaker boxes.
speaker box.jpg

Once I realized what had been done, I could feel the money flowing from my wallet!!:eek: That's gonna cost a bit to repair.:(
speaker box damage.jpg

Other than the idiotic hacking that went on back here, it's in pretty good shape.
no rear seats.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,964 Posts
Once I realized what had been done, I could feel the money flowing from my wallet!!:eek: That's gonna cost a bit to repair.:(
Can you imagine someone who would cut something structural in order to install speakers? Yea, previous owners are like that.

As 1750GT writes, it shouldn't be that hard to restore - it doesn't have to look original - just put enough metal in there to replace the original stiffness the factory brace provided.

Good luck with the restoration!

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
very nice example! keep the photos comming. twill be a fun project.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How original of a condition were you going to bring it back to?
My answer would be, "As original as is financially feasible". Which means, if I can put it right without it costing a terrible amount of money, I'll do it. Otherwise, sheet steel it is.

It's pretty amazing the work that went into painting this car red. Somebody must have really loved this little car 10 to 20 years ago when it was done. I can imagine the respray cost more than the car was worth at the time, so it had to have been a die-hard Alfista to do such a thing. It would be interesting to find someone on the BB that remembers this car back then. Really, how many Dutch Blue '69 GTV's were painted red to this level. It's too bad it spent the last several years in the hands of a buffoon.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Really, how many Dutch Blue '69 GTV's were painted red to this level.
yeah, below the carpet, inside the doors and all cavities....tha's really something! Great project!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I removed the rear panels and found these so-called speaker boxes.
View attachment 164439

View attachment 164440

Other than the idiotic hacking that went on back here, it's in pretty good shape.
View attachment 164441

interesting.... i thought 69gtv come with the later cable window regulators?

anyone else here have the gear operated regulators on their 69?

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another problem caused by the PO is the issue of the gas flap. For some unknown reason he felt it necessary to cut and rotate the gas filler and seal off the flap.:confused:
Left rear fender.jpg

The flap can still be seen from inside the trunk so I assumed he'd merely bondo'd it shut.
'69 GTV031 web.jpg

After the fuel tank finally gave out and spilled its contents on the garage floor, I needed to free the flap so I could use the new, non-butchered tank.
gas flap 1.jpg

Alas, it was not going to be that easy. The flap is seal welded shut!:eek: Fortunately, I found an NOS fender on e-bay a few days later for $300.:D
gas flap 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The Series 1 GTV's (thru '69) have the scissors type regulators and the Series 2 ('71+) have cable. It was discussed thoroughly on this thread.
thanks...

usa spec 69 are such are strange concoction of parts from earlier and later 105 cars. truly unique and rare with 600 or so unit made with a good portion of them rusted and tossed out to the recyclers. Ive notice the rear bulkhead is also different from all the early and later cars as well.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's the peculiarities of the '69 GTV that I want to preserve. There were only about 640 of the many thousands of GTV's that were built in 1969 to have these features. Sure, I could drop the SPICA and run a nice set of Webers, or leave it with its converted single circuit brake system, but it would look just like all the others. And that front bumper! Why would anyone with a '69 run without bumpers when it's the best looking of any of the quad-headlight GT's?

Ive notice the rear bulkhead is also different from all the early and later cars as well.
How? I haven't paid that much attention to that area.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
It's the peculiarities of the '69 GTV that I want to preserve. There were only about 640 of the many thousands of GTV's that were built in 1969 to have these features. Sure, I could drop the SPICA and run a nice set of Webers, or leave it with its converted single circuit brake system, but it would look just like all the others. And that front bumper! Why would anyone with a '69 run without bumpers when it's the best looking of any of the quad-headlight GT's?

How? I haven't paid that much attention to that area.
i'd leave the inezione if possible... its a specific 69 only spica without the fuel cut off solenoid that has a race car like over run that i missed when i put in juiced up 2Liter.

do you still have the dual MC? they are a pita but do have a safety benefit.

agreed, great looking front bumper with the bespoke smaller turnsignals shared with other exotics of the day. i track mine with the bumper on still on because i like the stock street car look.

1 early rear bulkheads are lattice construction that dosent seal off the entire trunk area.

2 69s are seal off with the exception of the 2 access panels for shock mounts

3 late 1750-2000 gtvs are similar to the 69 but you will notice a vertical break on near the wheel houses for increase strength. the plastic access panels arent interchangeable between a series 1 and 2 car because of this section break as i recall. strange yours appears to have the later bulkhead?

the rear boot area aft of the bulkhead structure is different also. i reckon the early cars are the lightest

69 are the heaviest not sure if there is substantial extra strength

1750-2000 being lighter than a 69 but a much stronger trunk area design after apparently weaknesses encounter with trunk area buckling.

please keep em pics coming

cheers

db

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The car currently has the SPICA from a '71 1750 and was working well when I bought it. It ran fairly rough so it probably needed to be tuned properly.
'69 GTV036 web.jpg

I have, however, found a '69 injector pump to use as a core. I've had the car just over a year now and I've used that time to round up most of the missing "1969 only" pieces. So far, besides the pump, I've found the air box with attached idle equalizers, dual circuit M/C, brake pressure differential valve, and an NOS clutch M/C guard. Have I forgotten anything?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
i dont see a coolant overflow catch tank... they are on the passenger side verse a series 2 car.

extra booster with the dual MC?

i think you have a couple extra toggle switchs on the center console that dont belong there...?

missing the small bracket and vent tube via fuel tank that dumps into the valve cover fitting.

ive notice your tail lamps are the altissimo type rather than the carello's or vice versa. some cars came with those different rear lamps apparently.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got the tank, the oil vapor separator and the "69 only" strap for the two. I've also got the clutch fluid reservoir and two new boosters waiting in the wings. And, yes, the PO had 5 generic toggles on the console and I have no idea what they're all for. The console will be repaired and the correct switches installed.

missing the small bracket and vent tube via fuel tank that dumps into the valve cover fitting.
I'm lost on this one. Photos?

Yes, they are the wrong tail lights but I kinda like them. This is one area where I'm not sure if I want to put it right. As my 7-year-old daughter says: "I'm in a quandary".

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Those are Series 1 rear lights, so if you want to preserve the features that makes your car unique, keep them just as they are ...

Good luck! :)

1 - 20 of 165 Posts