Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
That is cool. It's also kind of funny that a car with less than 5K had the same kludges that we find on the ones with 150K: wrong fuel pump, fuel pressure switch disconnected (that fixed that little light on the dash!). I wonder if the wired tamper cap on the Spica is still in place? I didn't look at the movies but the seller seems pretty good about disclosure. While low mileage cars are kind of special, it certainly wouldn't be criminal for someone to buy it to finally rack up some miles on this baby.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
What a find!

It's just incredible, i wish i had found it.
I would guess that it's worth most returned to 100% original.
The armrests, shift knob and exhaust are all easy.

I hope this one gets a huge bid because these cars deserve more than they regularly sell for. (and i have one!!!)

I can't stop looking at this one. I am trying to save some pictures so that I can see what original looks like. Does anyone know where to get seatbelts with the ALFA logo on the buckles?

·
Registered
820 Posts
That is cool. It's also kind of funny that a car with less than 5K had the same kludges that we find on the ones with 150K: wrong fuel pump, fuel pressure switch disconnected (that fixed that little light on the dash!). I wonder if the wired tamper cap on the Spica is still in place? I didn't look at the movies but the seller seems pretty good about disclosure. While low mileage cars are kind of special, it certainly wouldn't be criminal for someone to buy it to finally rack up some miles on this baby.

your observations are correct and well founded. I would seriously have to wonder about a car that has that mileage original and already has had paint and significant repair... if its real it has to be a 7 or 8000 $ car I would think. I paid 4 K for my 79 original 25,000 miles rust free and 100 % original thru out that would need 4 k at retail at least to do the paint properly and all else. it will be a very nice core for a good resto/keeper for someone that could buy it at the right price.

if its real... and I would want to touch it and confirm that before I paid serious money for it. making that speedo match the last repair receipt would be about 15 mins work for anyone trying to run this scam if it is one.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Looks like there are too many questions...battery was moved from the trunk..why paint doesn't match, why, wheels should be turbinos why...It might be a good buy for someone, but not me. I am very leary of that mileage, with those, and other questions. Door panels, and other stuff. I'll pass but lets all realize that if it is too good to be true, it usually is !!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The first Vintage Customs video I ever watched was 'Lemon Spider'. Since this car is from Canada, maybe it's the same one Vintage Customs in Seattle restored? Maybe. As in conjecture...

FWIW my brother bought a spider new in 73, and while he loved the car itself, he hated the fit an finish. Everything went wrong in the two years that he owned it, and he will never understand why I just bought an Alfa last year LOL. The Spica unit was on the list of things he had to take it back to have worked on, along with heater control cables popping off...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd suspect this is "real"- at least it's not a "scam" - BAT is pretty good about checking that out in their proprietary auctions.

As to what the car really is? I asked the seller at the BAT site about the armrests which aren't period for this car and he swears that they are original, but if this is a 1974, that ain't right... He seems to be up front - perhaps he just doesn't know as much about the car as would be ideal...

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'd suspect this is "real"- at least it's not a "scam" - BAT is pretty good about checking that out in their proprietary auctions.

As to what the car really is? I asked the seller at the BAT site about the armrests which aren't period for this car and he swears that they are original, but if this is a 1974, that ain't right... He seems to be up front - perhaps he just doesn't know as much about the car as would be ideal...
well... that's always the disclaimer in these deals... " I just bought it this way and that's what the guy said ..." thus absolving himself of any responsibility for the truth of the matter... the Hillary Clinton method ...

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,722 Posts
Nice!

·
Premium Member
6,577 Posts
Looks like there are too many questions...battery was moved from the trunk..why paint doesn't match, why, wheels should be turbinos why...It might be a good buy for someone, but not me. I am very leary of that mileage, with those, and other questions. Door panels, and other stuff. I'll pass but lets all realize that if it is too good to be true, it usually is !!
On a 1974 the turbinas would have been an option the standard wheel was still the steel wheel with the sombro center cap. I believe the momo's were a factory option. Someone with a 73 or 74 parts book could check that out. The battery was engine the engine compartment until 1976 or so when Alfa had to start putting air pumps on them. The reason the battery would have been moved to the truck on a early spider was when A/C was added to the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts