Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been fortunate to be able to buy a very nice 2600 Sprint to share the garage with our 1973 GTV 2000. Our new 2600 was restored about 15 years ago too a very high standard and has not been used much in recent years. It really requires recommissioning rather than any restoration work. The tires are more than 25 years old and will be replaced and the dreaded steering box needs attention. I think the colour is called Grigio Coupe and a lovely Becker Europa is fitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Very Nice

So thats what a good sprint looks like.

Not only tires after 15 years , I would change any other rubber presssurised components if you intend to do many miles..

Ie

Oil pipe to oil pressure gauge - mine burst and destroyed my engine
Oil pipes to oil coller , a friend was lucky enough? to have his burst when he was standing next to the car and he caught it before any damage.

Similar with brake pipes and fuel pipes for obvious reasons

Apparently the simple test is if it doesn't smell like rubber anymore ,its knackered/US

Lovelly car

Ian

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Thats the best looking Sprint I've ever seen. Perfect colour combination. Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
That was a steal for the asking price. I was severely tempted but no storage.

Purchase of the year!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I agree, i saw this come up and thought it was excellent value, great buy. Triple webers perhaps or is this going to stay 100% original? :p

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Congratulation !
Very nice car and very clever choice. I'm sure this car is still underestimated...

Concerning the color, isn't it the Grigio Biacca (very rare) ?

Please, follow Redmerlin advice ;-)

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
if you have a change of plans I would buy it tomorrow even though im in the U.K.. but I don't suppose you wont. what stunning car. love it.

·
Push hard and live
9,604 Posts
Grigio Biacca is very close to white. A soft white. Not silver at all, and most people wouldn't call it "grigio" at all.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
T hanks Red Merlin good advice and I have already started working thru things. I will do further research on the colour. As you can see from the photos it is a light grey. Not an outstanding colour like my Prugna GTV but it looks very elegant which seems to suit the 2600 Sprint style.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
For the color, ask Marco Fazio.

Marco Fazio

Tel. +39 02 444 29 115
Mob +39 334 62 95 381
Fax +39 02 444 28 152
[email protected]

Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo
Centro Direzionale
Viale Alfa Romeo
20020 Arese (MI) Italy

A simple e-mail with the serial N° of the car and asking the date of production, the date of delivery and place, the color configuration.

Marco should answer you immediately.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Beautiful Car! .....

There is something elegant about the 2600 coupes and IMO they look great in any colour.

Nearly bought one a few times over the years, still time i suppose!

Enjoy!

Cheers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2600 Sprint Colour

Marco Fazio tells me the Sprint was manufactured on the 30th June 1964 and sold on the 22nd March 1966.

He describes the colour as grey. The previous owner was advised by the international register that the colour was AR722 Grigio Coupe with (Light Grey) written next to it. The translation for Light Grey would be Grigio Chiarro I think so I am wondering whether the word coupe was a mistake? Anybody have any knowledge of AR722?

Paul

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
"Grigio Coupé" did exist and was listed for some time with paint code ALF722 on the Glasurit Color Online web site (for the period 1954 to 1960). The Glasurit web site now lists AR-722 as "Grigio Congo" for the period 1960 to 1968, i.e. the time frame in which the 102 and 106 Sprints were built. However, AR-722 "Grigio Coupé" is also listed in the Lechler "Color Index 2013" catalog (available for download here -- but no formula). So, from that perspective there is no question in my mind that the name "Grigio Coupé" existed in some form.

Possibly more authoritative than the Glasurit web site is the Alfa Romeo Technical Bulletin 0.00.024, dated 10-Jul-1961, lists AR-722 (it appears the last 3 digits of the parts code 3536.20xxx became the AR number) as "Grey KF 18012", available on the 102 Sprint, as shown in this post. However, the same post also shows TSB 0.00.038, dated 13-Apr-1964, where AR-722 is not listed.

Altogether, I tend to believe that the color "Grey" that Marco Fazio pulled from the archive is the same AR-722 as the color listed in the 1961 bulletin and may have been refered to as "Grigio Coupé" by paint manufacturers (but not by the accountants maintaining the records that are now in the archive -- they probably listed it only as "Gr"). I don't see much of a conflict here, either.

Some questions about paint colors and paint names remain, as names and numbers may have changed over time and/or different names may have been used for the same paint in different regions of the world.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
I dug up something else about AR 722 on the 2600 Sprint (note the Ditzler code 32424):

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Reudi much appreciated. I asked a follow up question and Marco has now confirmed that the color is AR722 Grigio Coupe.

Paul

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
2600 sprint

hello,

the sprint is very nice. is this a 1st serie 2600 sprint? i have a 1963 2600 sprint. it has a different dash. what are the other different parts serie 1 and 2? mine dash is a 2nd serie or the original one?

thanks,
john

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
John The car was built in June 1964 and has four wheel disc brakes. Other than that I dont know the series. Another 2600 for sale here in Australia has the same dash as mine. Perhaps the right hand drive accounts for the differences in the dash. Interesting that it was not sold until March 1966 according to Marco.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
LHD cars up to chassis number 825100 and RHD cars up to chassis number 854220 are generally referred to as Series 1 cars, while LHD cars starting 825101 and RHD cars starting at 854221 are generally referred to as Series 2 cars. These chassis numbers are listed in Pub. 1164 (the second volume of the 2-Vol parts catalog).

The major differences are: The interior and upholstery is different (dashboard, seats, side window winder mechanism, etc.). Different padding under the engine hood (flat cloth on Series 1, diamond shaped stitching on Series 2). Also, Series 1 cars had single piece bumpers front and back, while Series 2 cars have 3-piece bumpers.

At about the same time (in late 1963) just before the Series 1/2 changes occurred on Berlina, Sprint and Spider (in early 1964), Alfa also changed from drum brakes on the rear axle to disc brakes all around. While I'm not aware of any Series 2 cars that left the factory with drum brakes, the factory certainly produced Series 1 cars with disc brakes all around (and they are marked as such in the records of the Alfa Romeo archive), which also led to a change of the hand brake lever. However, the presence/absence of disc brakes all around should, by itself, not be used for delineating Series 1/2 cars.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
sprint joins my gtv

hello,

so my dash is a 1st of a 2nd serie?
also the wheel arches are different?
they are all round and not open?
i do not know how to explain that.

thanks,
john

1 - 20 of 21 Posts