Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Oh man, Don that is one gorgeous 2000 Spider! An interesting and very different exhaust note on the cast iron block motor, too. Thanks for those videos!

BTW I agree on the starter whack on the MF115 (not to be confused with the BF109 :)). Maybe the drive gear is not returning fast enough off the ring gear? Doesn't sound healthy, though.

·
Push hard and live
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I do have the spacer. Shop is a WRECK at the moment.

The yellow 102 has its own story, told over in that forum. It’ll be going on the block in January. I’ve also got a Grigio Biacca 102 I rebuilt a decade ago. It has a monster 2300cc that is the subject of the above on-ramp test. I drive it regularly, weather permitting.

The blue car joined us about a month or so ago. Idle for most of 20 years, it’s now operational. Remains to be seen if my 16 year old grandson gets his act together and gets his license. He’s a lazy git, except in the gym or on the field.

Anyone got comments on starter gnashing noises during start? Sounds to me like it sometimes only partially engaged, and other times doesn’t engage at all, just grrccccchhh noises.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Bendix is either bad or the ring gear is chewed up.

Ring gear chewed up isn't a real common problem. But it does happen. I've seen it a few times.

Pull the starter and have it rebuilt. Probably needs a good cleaning.

Check bellhousing for cracks. You can inspect the ring gear when the starter is out. You will need someone to turn the engine over will your looking at the ring gear. Ring gear will mainly have most of the wear in 2 spots.

Around the time of your car Alfa started installing the 1hp starter. This starter requires a bracket that bolts on the back of the starter and then bolts to the motor mount to support the back on the starter. Bellhousing's can crack if the bracket is missing.

·
Push hard and live
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I’ve done many Alfas, and it’s always interesting to follow the forensic footsteps and try to figure out why the car was taken out of commission so many years ago.

Although I’ve had some 115s, I don’t much like the Spiders, and never worked on them much. I tried to find a 1300 Super for the boy’s first car, as they are way cool, and at 4,700’ above sea level, slow. Alas, people seem to think even rust-structurally-compromised cars are worth 3X what I paid for this 67,000 mile, one-owner, utterly rust-free Spider. One is unwise to over-invest in a boy’s first car.

It appears a moisture-laden winter system has settled in for a while, so no test drives anytime soon.

Anyone have a radio delete plate, or even a picture of what one looked like in 1976/77?

·
Push hard and live
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
BTW, I just had a thought balloon appeared over my head.

I’m pretty sure this has a three-bolt starter, but aren’t there two different versions of those to suit the ring gear tooth count?

I’m fairly sure the forward starter support is NOT on the starter, but I think it was in the trunk. Now I’m wondering if someone replaced the starter, but with the wrong tooth count.

There used to be an Alfa salvage yard in Oklahoma,where I found the car, and the owner of that yard was known to have rather inventive scruples.

Means of IDing what I’ve got and which I need?

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
The 1hp starter will have studs sticking out the back where the case studs screw in. The smaller starter won't have any.

You car should have the 131 tooth ring gear on it. The 72 to 74 have the 130 tooth ring gear on it. Early 75's had the small starter on them and Alfa had an update. I'm posting pictures of it as some of the intake motor mounts being sold are made to the early bracket style so the bulletin will tell you how to modify it or if yours is correct put the bracket on the new mount.

By the way if you need motor mounts the round Akron brand suck. Spruell's sells the much better square mounts for normal duty. This design was originally made by Pirelli and out lasted the OEM's by 2 or 3 years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Anyone have a radio delete plate, or even a picture of what one looked like in 1976/77?
Heres a picture of the radio delete plate. They are the same from 1971 to 1985.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Perfect. Now to find one of those plates. I’ve already written to Larry, jr, with no reply. Past experience has taught that his silence should not be over thought.

Bluetooth remote amp already on the way

21 - 29 of 29 Posts