Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am looking for ways to "sharpen" up the steering . At centre there is a minimum but obvious amount of slop- probably about 2 or 3 degrees at the steering wheel , but I think nothing has been done with bushes etc since the car left Los Angeles in 2000. I am getting used to the non assisted steering but can't help feeling it should be able to get it a bit sharper.
All thoughts gratefully received !

·
Administrator
17,709 Posts
There is an adjustment on the steering box. Ideally, one would disconnect the pitman arm (so there is no drag from any of the rest of steering gear) but this is somewhat impractical. What I do is to jack up the front end then make the adjustment. Avoid going too tight - you are just trying to minimize and slack without introducing any potential bind.

Also, the front end alignment is supposed to be done in a specific manner. It is likely an alignment shop would not know this procedure. If you take your car to a shop for an alignment and they don't agree to follow this procedure find another shop.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,451 Posts
Before you try tightening the box, check all the linkages for play: tie rods, ball joints, idler arm. That can add up to a bunch of slop real quick.

The steering idler arm on these cars typically has a bunch of wear after not that many miles, IMO. I've had to fix that on three of three Alfas when I bought them. That's what I'd check first.

Reactions: ghnl
1 - 5 of 5 Posts