Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Interesting video. From the reading I've done it really takes quite some time until some of these paints would pass the scratch test. Some can take weeks or longer till they get rock hard.

Maxwedge - what web site did you see the red car in your pick, do you know if that was the Fire Red?

Kevin

·
Registered
503 Posts
Interesting video. From the reading I've done it really takes quite some time until some of these paints would pass the scratch test. Some can take weeks or longer till they get rock hard.

Kevin
Somebody needs to make a video on painting their alfa with Thinned interlux or rustoleum...

·
Premium Member
21,131 Posts
I was gonna on my cheap 65 Mustang, but sold it without having to paint it. I'm not sure I could bring myself to do it, even on a Berlina.
Andrew

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Ok, well I did it.
I too was kind of stuck on the idea, but after seeing a buddies Fiat he did with very little prep and it looked good, I figured I could do it and do a better job and I did. I did this during the middle of July when we were having rain almost every day.
I will post more details and photos when I get home tonight.
Lets just say it works. No Magic. Just lots of prep and sanding. I lost 10 lbs of fat and gained 2% lean. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Heres a question for yeah, since this is rustoleum paint (good at preventing rust i would suppose) is it possible to do a very nice paint job of this type as a tough base, then prime and paint over it with something a little bit prettier?

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Here we go:

Nothing spectacular about the paint job other than it cost next to nothing in supplies and your life in labor.

Disclaimer: The car has not been wetsanded or polished yet. I needed the car, as its my driver, and so I put it back together after the 8th coat and drove my 1,000 mile trip. I have been driving it almost everyday since. Its been curing these past 3 months and I will get on it during my Thanksgiving holiday.

I cant post comments between picts so you will just have to figure them out as we go.

The car was originally black and I wanted to bring back the flavor of that by painting the tail in black. That led to the blood-line stripe becoming black as well. Played with that for a little while and got what I think is a nice compromise.

I realized how easy it was to paint it this way so I went and found a color I liked and mixed it into the Interlux Marine Paint I have been using for years on the boats I have built or owned.
The key is to thin it to the consistency of milk, and to wipe it down between coats and sanding with mineral spirits and denatured alcohol.

I removed everything I could and taped off what I couldn't.
I'm pretty adept with using epoxy, so I used West System to mix up the filler and patched the surface rusted areas.
I sanded the body down with 400 grit wet/dry and checked for smoothness. Its not perfect but was ok for my needs at this time.
The process goes something like this: Apply 2 coats and then sand with progressively finer paper, starting with 600.
Use a dense 4" foam roller and a 3" foam brush for 'tipping' out.
Wipe down with mineral spirits and let dry before the next coats.
8 coats took 5 days to apply.
Again, I have not done the final wetsanding or polishing, but its amazing how good it looks without.

Thats about it. Here are the picts.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
... bill..a question...so far how is the 'hardness ' of the paint...thats the only thing from stoping my from doing my car..i am almost done with the sanding /bodywork..and what is 'tipping?'thanks:) the car loooks good..my local ace hardware store has the same paint but they can 'custom ' colour it to what i am looking for.. kind of a cherry red/ burgandy colour..

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Bill,

I was going to try the Interlux too, in fact I bought some early this spring and it has been sitting in the bag since then. Getting interested in giving it a go again. You said you found a colour you liked and mixed it in, did you buy white and mix a colour or use one of their standard colours? If I remember correctly the stuff I bought was their Brightside paint and it might have been the fire red.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
...and some more.
I modified the front bumper while I was at it, and that was covered in a different thread.
Looks nice, Bill. That front grille looks familiar....

I think this is the perfect technique for a driver. My "other car" was in the shop today, so I had to make the Spider earn its keep commuting through traffic on a nasty, rainy day. I was petrified that I'd crash and ruin the fairly nice but expensive (to me anyway) paint job. With the $98 special you can drive with a clear conscience.

-Jason

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
... bill..a question...so far how is the 'hardness ' of the paint...thats the only thing from stoping my from doing my car..i am almost done with the sanding /bodywork..and what is 'tipping?'thanks the car loooks good..my local ace hardware store has the same paint but they can 'custom ' colour it to what i am looking for.. kind of a cherry red/ burgandy colour..
The "hardness" issue is still unresolved. I have no chips or dings in it yet to tell. It was not hard enough to repel the Yukon that turned in front of me a few hours ago and smashed my hood.
"Tipping" is using the foam brush to blend in the edges of the roller marks.

I was going to try the Interlux too, in fact I bought some early this spring and it has been sitting in the bag since then. Getting interested in giving it a go again. You said you found a colour you liked and mixed it in, did you buy white and mix a colour or use one of their standard colours? If I remember correctly the stuff I bought was their Brightside paint and it might have been the fire red. Kevin
I bought the same "fire red" and added a little orange to it. It matched the red the car was repainted a decade ago. I am happy with the color and the way it goes on. You just have to thin it down a lot.

Looks nice, Bill. That front grille looks familiar....

I think this is the perfect technique for a driver. My "other car" was in the shop today, so I had to make the Spider earn its keep commuting through traffic on a nasty, rainy day. I was petrified that I'd crash and ruin the fairly nice but expensive (to me anyway) paint job. With the $98 special you can drive with a clear conscience.

-Jason
Well, up to a point. This is what happened to me today: not sure whats going to happen with their insurance adjuster and how I will repaint it. Probably the same way.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 80 Posts