Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Selling a 1997 Alfa Romeo GTV Gia with about 58,000 miles. This GTV has the 2.0 V6 Turbo. This car was assembled at the Arese Plant in Milan, Italy then exported to Japan. It was then exported to Canada and finally to the United States. I bought the car already in the US and so therefore comes with a US title easily transferable to any state except California.

Located on Mercer Island, WA. For further questions, or additional pics, please call/text my cell @ 925-307-6278 Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
713 Posts
Love the car. I am curious. Assuming a buyer is willing to take the chance the Feds won't confiscate and crush it, how do you insure something like this in the US? Can I just call State Farm and give them a non US VIN and get full coverage?

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
I've had VINs that Allstate couldn't make sense of (F12 van, three-digit Vespa VIN) but they did their best, picked a vehicle type that seemed closest, issued me a policy and a proof of insurance. Maybe for a modern car it would be more of an issue.
Andrew

·
Registered
65 Posts
I saw that your Ebay listing ended and did not meet the reserve. What's your asking price?

Also, how many miles are on it?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Miles were stated in the original ad above.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Fishy business here...... I asked for a copy of the title.... can not produce! Agreed on price and seller was to drive the car to his winter home in FL which is near me, then said he would pay to have it shipped instead of driving it! Car did not sell so I emailed him and said when he arrived in FL I would come see the car....... No response. Something is not right here, be careful.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well, if it's any consolation--the pictures of the car in the parking lot--you can see things around it.

Those orange semi trailers in the background show the logo for a Canadian trucking company called Dry and Ross. This location is on 11470 131st in Surrey, British Columbia.

The other building (the grey one) where these pictures were taken is across the street from the Dry and Ross place. This is 13133 115th Ave.

The "Suite 200" shown is Sun Glow Food Products. The main part of this building is Suite 100 (with the blue oval logo)...this is Crosstown Metal Industries.

The point of all of this is that Surrey BC is just across the border from Washington--a common place for Seattle folks to go, hence this car being on Mercer Island (just a couple miles east of Seattle on I-90) isn't very far fetched.

His phone number is a 925 area code which is East Bay Area California.....

The pictures of the license plate are now covered up with black boxes, however I seem to remember the earlier pictures showing what looked like Washington State license plates.

No connection to the seller--just trying to put pieces together.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
The scammers probably wouldn't take the time to say it would not transfer to California, you are cutting out the biggest market in the country. I'm going with legit. Dude could just be busy :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'm no expert in non-US models, but I don't think that Alfa went backwards with the V6 displacement. All V6s were of that year were 3.0L. Also, if it was a Japanese export, it would most likely would be a right hand drive also.
It all sounds pretty sketchy to me.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Many Alfas and Lancias in Japan were LHD. Just look at Japanese Integrales, all LHD. Also, two liter turbo V6s were tax specials...remember the Ferrari 208?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I will grant you the RHD/LHD issue. But I will stand by the fact that V6s of the '90s were not smaller than 3.0L.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I acknowledge that you are correct. I did not see the Turbo on the plenum and I was not aware of the 2.0L Turbo engine used in the 97 GTV.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I acknowledge that you are correct. I did not see the Turbo on the plenum and I was not aware of the 2.0L Turbo engine used in the 97 GTV.
Now that's a rare site on an automotive forum. It's way too often that people refuse to accept that they made a minor error and simply refuse to admit that another person could be right. Good job araknd, we all make mistakes, but so few can acknowledge them. You are an example to us all.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
While I knew there was a 2.0 V6 Turbo in the 90's I really don't recall seeing pictures them. I see from the Wiki page it's derived from the 3.0. Is it safe to assume it's just de-stroked? Or are the pistons smaller too? I too cannot see a turbo, is it down low towards the front perhaps?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts