Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the oil radiator on my 95Q. it is leaking after running into a metal radiator fan that came off a truck driving ahead of me Replacement seems straight forward, but not sure i can find a suitable replacement part. Can i use any standard oil coolers? or do i need to get a genuine Alfa replacement part?

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
I need to replace the oil radiator on my 95Q. it is leaking after running into a metal radiator fan that came off a truck driving ahead of me Replacement seems straight forward, but not sure i can find a suitable replacement part. Can i use any standard oil coolers? or do i need to get a genuine Alfa replacement part?
I expect you will need matching part. Alfa number was 60510068 and was repalced with 46469283 in 1997.

Shop manual shows removing right headlight to gain access to upper hose fitting. Since oil cooler is attached to side of radiator you may have to remove radiator to get to cooler.

I had to install a new cooler long time ago on Myron's LS.

I had a radiator shop try to fix his but cracked tube was to far inside to repair but may you can have a radiator shop try to fix yours.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
pretty straightforward

I may have a spare used one, will have to look. replacement from the bottom is straightforward as I recall, two bolts hold the cooler onto the bracket.

If you are inclined, when you replace the cooler it might be a good idea to freshen the oil cooler lines. Any hydraulic shop can make them up for you. Just bring your current ones in and they can make new even using your fittings. These lines tend to weep oil after 15 + years and replacing them can keep the underside a little cleaner.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Oil radiator removal 95 LS 5 spd (is it necessary to replace radiator)

Contemplating whether to checkbook replacement of coolant-leaking OEM radiator on 95 LS 5spd. Other posts mention "drop-in" procedure. Is it necessary to completely remove the oil radiator to replace the main radiator? Or is it sufficient to simply detach it from the two main radiator brackets? Will the hoses support the oil radiator once it is detached from main radiator brackets?

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Pretty sure you can just detach oil cooler and then remove 24v radiator. If need be you can hold up oil cooler with wire or coat hanger.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Main radiator not connected to oil cooler nor auto trans fluid cooler. The hardest part of rad change is draining the coolant==unless you have my car--- then its a max 10 minute job

Drain coolant
remove top crossmember (gotta take off the two relay brackets on driver side)
remove fan and shroud
remove radiator

reverse to re-assemble

don't forget to burp the coolant (brass bolt on top of t-stat housing)

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
I should have a good used one in stock if interested.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Cargo -- I sure don't recall that as I;ve changed the radiator on my 95 LS's a couple of times. But it may be so -- if so, then its no big deal since I swapped the radiator once in about 15 minutes with no muss no fuss. I'd for sure remember if it was a hassle (but for the life of me I cant picture where that bracket would attach to the plastic side tank -- but maybe it does!). At my age the memory is fading !

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Right side radiator plastic tank has two plastic attach points for 24v oil cooler and maybe broken off sometimes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts