Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search and come up empty on my problem so I have a question for the group.

My LS has been losing brake fluid while stored. Over the winter the reservoir went empty and a large puddle collected under the front of the car. The hard lines are all intact and un-rusted and I've verified that the M/C isn't leaking into the booster and back out again. I've determined that the leak is where the lines from the reservoir attach to the M/C.

I've ordered a new set of grommets from Jason's site. What kind of job is it to remove the fittings and replace the grommets? It looks simple, except for the typical access and clearance issues, but I have visions of pulling or prying the wrong way and breaking the fittings. So, are the fittings a press fit at the M/C or do they screw in, or what? I'm sure I'm not the first one to have to do this.

TIA,

·
Premium Member
27,523 Posts
They press into grommets.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Were do you see it dripping from? Do the hoses from the reservoir look wet?

The usual suspects are:
Clamps on the BF reservoir. 3 hoses out of the bottle and the rear one on my car was unclamped.
Hose clamps at the MC side are common area for leaks. Due to other larger hoses abut and go in between the two and cause stress on the clamps.
Hose diameter , manufacture and wrong length put stress on the grommets causing then to leak.

Be aware that the brake fluid has left a trail of dissolved paint all the way down to the lower A arm. Check your rubber grommets that anchor the stabilizer bar to the A arm for rubber degradation. If the rubber is split and or sticky , you should change them out. Center link labled P has after market rubber grommets from IAP.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to Steve and Multicam. I know I can depend on the board for answers - and more.

Multicam, the leak is from around the seal, not from the hose or clamps. Good advice to check the bushings. I'll be doing that.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
You will need to pull the grommet with plastic elbow out together, to reinstall you will want to install the grommet alone and then push in the plastic elbow. These elbows fit in very snug and that is the order that works best without breaking the elbows IMHO. Putting a little fluid on the elbows before pushing them in will help too.
Charles

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
By all means, replace the hoses while you're doing the grommets.
Did this about a year ago.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts