Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have been a long time lurker but seldom post; until now.

I have a 95 Ls with a very loose rear view mirror. I have done a search but have not found anything that addresses how to tighten the ball and socket area of the mirror.

I have removed the mirror and find no adj. screw; I was told that i might have to pry open the shell housing the mirror and that there might be an adj. screw on the back side of the socket. Yet, before I do that and totally destroy my mirror, I just want to confirm if in fact this is the correct approach or if there is another option.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
there is a collar

with an adjustment allen screw to tighten the collar-- look back there and you can see it ---- don't overtighten it tho-- if you break it you're screwed

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
wasn't their a reply in this problem in the past - stating a fix would be placing a drop of loctite blue on the ball joint??????
Don't take my word for it. My 1994 LS mirror stays but I have my doubts how long that is going to last, so I don't move it much.

I would research this before attempting. But, if nothing else works and the next step is replacing it, [B mirrors are still available], I would consider trying it.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I had to replace the rear view mirror on my 91 because it was loose. I didn't see anyplace or anyway to tighten it up. The 95 may be different as it should be an auto dimming mirror.
Charles

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Goats,

I looked back there and did not see any type of allen set screw. I see the collar and it has a inverted ridge or space but no screw. (is the set screw in that valley/space and I'm just too **** old and blind to see it?!!)

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
on miine

there is a black collar and a setscrew on that collar that grabs the ball. Get your magnifiers out and have a look in really good light. Now that I think of it, the setscrew might have been a phillips head

Theres a guy on Ebay selling a 95 LS mirror for 45 bucks -- seems like a really good deal

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, took another look. The set screw (at least on mine) is not on the collar that you see from the rear of the mirror; it is located on the top of the mirror under the attachment arm. Very easy to miss in that its at the bottom of a little shaft and does not sit on the surface of the mirror. It sits at an angle and it is a Phillips screw. Thanks for your help Goats.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I tightened the collar on the mirror on my Red 1995 LS and it was loose again within a day. Clearly, I needed another approach. I have a spare in a box somewhere, which made me braver than I might have been otherwise.

First I tried several layers of plastic from a shopping bag wrapped around the ball. But that still moved too easily. I needed something thicker and rough on both sides, since either can slip in the joint.

Here is what I found. It seems to work pretty well, as the mirror is much stiffer than before but not completely immobile. But I have to put the mirror back in the car to be sure. Am planning to use the "Goats" method with a BF screwdriver on one side to compress the spring clip on the other side. If that fails, I will beat on it again as I have had to do in the past.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Report After Test Drive

Works great! I left the ring off because two of the three clips that hold it on were broken and it was no longer needed to tighten the ball -- not that it did before.

Goats method of reinstalling mirror worked fine, except that you need a thin screwdriver or the mirror won't be able to slide into its mounting bracket. And you still have to press on the mirror to snap it in even with the spring clip on the other side fully pressed in. But way better than brute force.

Thanks, Goats!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
My pleasure Rex. Did you just push the ball into the socket with the 3M material behind it? I'm surprised that it fit! Great fix!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I wrapped the 3M material around the ball and then pushed it into the socket, so that all of the ball and all of the socket are exposed to the friction material of the 3M pad.

They are re-paving the road I drive on to and from work. For several weeks I have had something like 3 miles of street with the pavement ground off that is waiting to be repaved. Needless to say, the car shakes like crazy on this and the mirror always falls. This morning, it stayed perfectly in place.

You are very welcome, Goats. I am happy to share. Just a little payback for all the great help I have received on this site. I hope it works for you if you need it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts