Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just have a couple of questions regarding this 95 LS auto with 109K. Hard shifting from park to reverse other wise very smooth shifting throught all gears and kickdown too. Happens when cold or hot same thing. Also, seems like gas pedal is very sensitive as the moment you remove your foot off the pedal it slowes down uprubtly. you hit the gas pedal again and it acts the same way. not sure why hence needing help figuring this out. Any insight would be much appreciated.

95 LS Auto
00 Volvo V70R
04 Jaguar XJR

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
check trans fluid level

for start, and color/odor of trans fluid. Sounds like the torque converter might be acting up but could also be a brake issue == are any of the wheels hot after driving? Check with a laser thermometer each brake rotor after parking the car=

·
Registered
503 Posts
these cars have the same auto box as the saab 9000
there are little springs with ball bearings in the valve body that can get weak or break and cause issues like this, its not a bad job to do
ive got it down to about 2hrs, ericksson industris in CT can get all
the parts or you can even send them the valve body for repair

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts
these cars have the same auto box as the saab 9000
there are little springs with ball bearings in the valve body that can get weak or break and cause issues like this, its not a bad job to do
ive got it down to about 2hrs, ericksson industris in CT can get all
the parts or you can even send them the valve body for repair
94/95 electronic A/T tranny valve body a bit different than mechanical 12v A/T valve body so you need to talk to Nat Wentworth first to be sure that valve body takes same springs as 12v one I have listed in my thread on how to replace accumulator springs.

Further disclaimer: also be very specific as to which year, car make, model and actual tranny you have as yes it is similiar to Saab 9000 but yet different.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Hello all,

I just have a couple of questions regarding this 95 LS auto with 109K. Hard shifting from park to reverse other wise very smooth shifting throught all gears and kickdown too. Happens when cold or hot same thing. Also, seems like gas pedal is very sensitive as the moment you remove your foot off the pedal it slowes down uprubtly. you hit the gas pedal again and it acts the same way. not sure why hence needing help figuring this out. Any insight would be much appreciated.

95 LS Auto
00 Volvo V70R
04 Jaguar XJR

Muneer

I have a parts car if you need any parts let me know.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so i checked the tranny fluid and its clean and smells normal. I am not sure i understand what brakes have to do with this thu. It seems like the common consenses is that it is a tranny issue. I am in southern California. Does any one know of a good shop that can do the above mentioned work or at the very least know about it. Im not looking forward to an Aamco visit as i am sure they will tell me i need a new transmission or charge an arm and a leg for a rebiuld.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
where in SoCal are you

I know most of the area shops in OC and san diego, less so with LA

Brakes -- Based on your report that the car 'slows down immediately' after lifting off the gas pedal, AND the failure mode of the master cylinder (brakes partially engaged at all times). Its a simple test to see if any of the wheels are hotter than the rest. Another way to test it is to drive it along, then throw into neutral. Does it slow down immediately as you have noted, or does it then glide along at the 'expected' pace?

Simple tests to attempt to rule out other system involvement in the issue I guess is my general approach.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RE: Tranny issues

Thanks for your response. I am in Newport Beach. As far as the Nuetral test, it doesnt slow down and it continues to glide like it should. Also noticed that upshipting is nice and smooth but down shifting is a little harsh as well as putting it into reverse from park is very rough.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
Stuart Sandeman

he is in Orange at APC.

The info on 'going into reverse' is consistent with a valve body rebuild approach, but as Steve says, you might want to call Nat at Erikkson and talk to him about the symptoms and get his views. If it is a valve rebuild, I think you could easily go to Stuart with the info from Nat and have him do it. If for whatever reason that wouldn't work, there used to be newport imports that did a fair number of italian cars --- not sure if they are still there tho.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RE: Tranny

Thanks for all the info, i will post the outcome once i have a resolution. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts
Thanks for your response. I am in Newport Beach. As far as the Nuetral test, it doesnt slow down and it continues to glide like it should. Also noticed that upshipting is nice and smooth but down shifting is a little harsh as well as putting it into reverse from park is very rough.
You still have never really answered my question of "Is tranny slow going into Drive from Park or Neutral?"

As for slow to go into drive from park or neutral and slow to down shift from 4-3 it is usually a weak Acumulator A spring 0732-042-227. A broken Accum A spring usually makes 4-3 downshift harsh.

As for harsh PARK TO Reverse engagement it is usually a bad accumulater D spring 0732-012-197,

I change both springs when I remove valve body because they are side by side in small valve body on bottom of main valve body.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts