Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
New to this forum 1st time commenting, just signed up to the community tonight...
I have a 95 164 LS that turned off on me while driving and wont start but will crank over.
I appears to be an ignition switch issue because i don't get the red instrument lights on when turning the key over or when cranking the car. Also I don't have (no power) to roll up my window that was left down. I have horn , power doors, and headlight working and car will crank but not start, so I am assuming I am not getting power to ignition with ignition On. I am planning on removing the plastic ignition covers and and trouble shoot the wiring. Does anyone have a ignition wiring diagram? It's my third 164 and always managed to fix them without the manual and finding the solution from Alfista Steve on these Alfa forums but I can't find anything this time. Please Help!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi,

Did you check the fuse and relay to the engine ECU? This happened to my 33. Had the relay blown. I would check fuses and then the relays than wiring.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
OK on the 24v the power windows and motronic M1.7 FI and ignitions systems both get power from pin 2 (brown wire) odd ignition switch. Check for 12v at brown wire with key on at ignition switch 4-wire connector. If contact pin 2 dead jumper from red power wire to brown wire and see if dead systems come on line. You do know that www.cardisc.com has a great DVD for the 164 models with great wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK on the 24v the power windows and motronic M1.7 FI and ignitions systems both get power from pin 2 (brown wire) odd ignition switch. Check for 12v at brown wire with key on at ignition switch 4-wire connector. If contact pin 2 dead jumper from red power wire to brown wire and see if dead systems come on line. You do know that www.cardisc.com has a great DVD for the 164 models with great wiring diagrams.
Hi,

Did you check the fuse and relay to the engine ECU? This happened to my 33. Had the relay blown. I would check fuses and then the relays than wiring.

Thanks for the fast reply!! I am assuming that if the brown wire has no power and it starts by jumping it then my ignition switch is not distributing the power and it's the issue? Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Yes, post your findings. However, be advised that the brown wire after ignition switch goes into G1 fuse box connector R pin 2 and out G1 E9 to windows and A8 on its way to ignition coils and to I35 key operated relay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I t
Yes, post your findings. However, be advised that the brown wire after ignition switch goes into G1 fuse box connector R pin 2 and out G1 E9 to windows and A8 on its way to ignition coils and to I35 key operated relay.
After removing the ignition cover I discover that the brown wire is the issue. Melted plastic around the wire, I wiggled it to get the window up and cars started. I will do some surgery and replace the bad wire. Thanks Alfisto Steve!!

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Still suggest you get the www.cardisc.com DVD for future issues with a 24v.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

yes i did it was my 1st step in trouble shooting...thanks

·
Registered
881 Posts
In the meantime, bypass the switch altogether (instructions in the forum somewhere) so you can start car and use acc setting. I had to do that while my switch was out for repairs (that could not be done). If my replacement switch gives out, I will put a stat button and use the switch only to lock the wheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts