Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering rack needs to be replaced and I don’t want to take it to a shop since it’s probably going to cost me over $1000. I’m asking for some advice, tools I’m going to need and if it can be done in my garage or do I need a lift. Also where can I buy a rebuilt steering rack at a good price. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hi,
No special tools required to remove it, assuming same procedure as with the 2 litre version. Just really limited access. If you split is at the track rod ends, undo the 4 bolts clampling it to the crossmember, undo the steering column joint in the footwell and the (three?) weather plate bolts, undo the power steering pipe banjo bolts and essentially it is free. Slides out behind the engine though not sure what else might be in the way on the V6. Probably easier to slide it to the the left of the car to avoid things like the power steering pump.
Patience and time will get you there.

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
I have done it on the ground in my garage. No special tools, remove drivers side strut and slide out that way. If you are looking for it to be rebuilt let me know?

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
This is a real PITA job with the engine in place! I removed my steering rack a little over a year ago; it took about 15 minutes -after I got the engine and transmission out of the way. I sent the rack to Jason at Alfissimo. He had the rack rebuilt and returned to me. They did a great job and the steering feels 'solid' and more positive than ever before. While the engine was out I had the starter and alternator rebuilt, replaced the belts, hoses, clutch & TOB, tensioner and bearing....

Previously my rack had been removed at AutoDelta in Atlanta and rebuilt, so it is possible. If you have big hands and long arms it is a very tough job. The AutoDelta rebuilt rack started leaking within about 12-14 months. I used Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak for the next 6 or 7 years until my throw out bearing went out and needed to be replaced. Pulling the engine and transmission just made sense for me.

Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do I have to remove the steering wheel before I start removing the steering rack or can the steering wheel stay untouched?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The steering column with the steering wheel remains in place. It is only necessary to separate the gimbal of the steering column of the steering rack, as well as the metal plate which is attached to the car by three fixing screws.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
This is great advice! At some point, I am going to have to remove and rebuild my rack as well. The bigger question is where to you get the rubber retainers for the rack? I heard they are NLA.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
The fixed rubber mount on the R/H side has never been available to order. If it needs to be replaced you have to drill off the upper clamp and make a new wrapped rubber cushion using something like a thin split piece of a radiator hose.

As for L/H pentagon shaped one they are hard to find new but I know somebody who has some ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
I did not drop subframe either, long extension through top of engine, loosen from steering column, undo hoses and such. Slide out drivers side.

Either replace rounded bushing with rubber hose and hex with something, Thin enough rubber to hold it and maybe go up the side or at least butt up against it. Otherwise I thought of aluminum bushing or just welding the bracket to the rack and never work about that bushing again. Q4 models have a solid mount on both sides. No need for the rubber really!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts