Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
For starters, you might try a search in the 164 section of the forum. There is a wealth of information there and some real experts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You need the special Alfa tool for this. The cam sprockets are not keyed. The tool temporarly replaces one of the camshaft bearings and holds the cam in the correct position, then the sprockets are positioned and torqued onto the tapered shaft for a press fit. There is another special tool for tensioning the belt. Without these tools I don't think it is possible to do, and since this is an 'interference' engine not getting everything spot on will lead to bent valves. This is not DIY job. If the belt has just jumped a tooth on the sprocket you may get lucky and be able to jump it back by detensioning the belt. But you still need the belt tensioning tool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1995 164ls 90k miles, transmission wont upshift stuck in 2nd gear, also trans light on the dash blinks. does any body have an idea about the possiable problem ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Try the Flux Capacitor.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,579 Posts
1995 164ls 90k miles, transmission wont upshift stuck in 2nd gear, also trans light on the dash blinks. does any body have an idea about the possiable problem ?
Speedometer sender probably bad. Does speedo work?

Move your 164 questions over to 164 section of these alfaBB.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,579 Posts
Does anyone know how to adjust Camshaft timming?
Yes some of us do. Move your 164 questions over to 164 area of this bulletin board.

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
Does anyone know how to adjust Camshaft timming?
also if you don't have it, get a cardisc. That will explain everything you need to know. Timing on the 24V is not for the faint hearted. Its very time consuming and very precise. You can get yourself into trouble if you don't know what your doing.

Let me know if I can help? I can explain it to you but I really suggest the manual on DVD with the Technical service Bulletins! The TSB is a great tool for the timing of the 24V.

You will need some special tools as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts