Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchase a used overhead console and matching remote to get the remote locks working again on my car. I was wondering what i should do to install it as i do not want to ruin this unit, should i disconect the battery? and another question what makes these units loose conection between the remote and over head console. i am curious as i do not want to have to go through this again. my main question is will the battery in the trunk going dead or being diconected cause this
thanks and have a blessed day

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Alarm

Hi Jason

First thing to do is check the alarm fob LED joints for their solder connections, and touch them up. This, IMO is the #1 reason for poor alarm operation. If you have your original Overhead console and alarm fobs what happened to them? Did you make sure that the solder joints and battery were good before buying a replacement set?

Nonetheless, turn off the alarm in the trunk and disconnect the main battery. Remove and replace the overhead console. Once its in place, remove the smoked grey cover from the OH console that covers the receiving diode array -- carefully use a pair of hemostats and pull the diode array down to its lowest position-- it is on a slider and will drop down about half an inch or so. Carefully clean the inside and outside of the smoked cover with soap and water to remove all dirt/oil etc. Put it back together -- with the diode array in its down position, the diodes should extend into the recess on the cover. Make all connections, etc and connect the battery. Use new alarm fob batteries too and clean the battery conacts in there with a pencil eraser to make good contact.

bob

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bob, when i bought the car from the previous owner, he lost the original remotes, and bought a replacement and he or i could not get the new remote to work, i guess i tried to many times and erased the memory of the original remote from the over head console.
thanks for the advice, ,my main concern is if the battery foes dead in the future will it stop working
thanks again

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
goatster, between you and alfa bob, i got both remotes working now
thanks and god bless

1 - 4 of 4 Posts