Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,001 Posts
Ok so anyone have a prefered way to get the heater core on my 164 out? Some say inside some outside? Any pics would help thanks
Search this forum for the process. There are many pictorials to chose from. And yes it is an outside under the hood job.

·
Premium Member
15,868 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hmmm, I was under the impression that Alfa had designed a heater core, and then built a car around it. Seems a lot easier than most VW's I've owned.

·
Premium Member
15,868 Posts
Some have reported that they were able to replace the core without disconnecting the a/c by carefully moving it aside. This may be more important for those 91-93 cars still using the hard to get R12. For those now using 134a, it's not such a big deal, as that working fluid is very available. Of course, this would give the R12 users a good opportunity to do the switch.

Also, one can bypass/isolate the leaking core by using one of the shutoff ball valves, as many of us have installed, in the hose coming from the head and also using hose shutoff pliers to isolate the core if it is leaking to get you down the road. The 24 valve engine heater hose layout is more complicated but a heater hose shutoff ball valve can still be installed by adding a loop of heater hose w/valve in the supply line.

·
Premium Member
27,001 Posts
Eric just did one on 94LS so similiat to the 95 but 95 has EGR valve set up on back of engine that causes less clearance getting the false firewall out.

Don't forget we now remove the windshield wiper motor to get more room, too.

·
Premium Member
27,001 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
given mine doesn't have a/c or the V^6. I cant see why removal of the wiper motor assy matters. I had all the room I needed just by removing the cross brace at the motor and loosening the false firewall. Could be a subtle diff between the euro series on and the later car you got in the US. ciao, jc

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Who has the lowest cost for a core these days...?

We're repairing the stepper flaps for a guy right now and we have it all apart - staring RIGHT AT the bloody core and I KNOW that it is just a matter of time before it too goes, so I want to save the owner some pain in the future - maybe replace the core now...!

·
Premium Member
15,868 Posts
My mechanic thinks that they should be changed every ~100k miles as some seem to start leaking not long after that, in his experience, at least in the 91-93. Don't know about the 94-95. Is it an improved version?

Or, replace before the start of a long trip.

Otherwise, put a valve in the line and carry heater hose shut off pliers, to isolate the heater if it starts leaking so you can keep going down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts