Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Dr. appointment Wed AM and the car was dead-nothing with the key in 'on' position and starter wouldn't crank. Being in a hurry and figuring I'd left something on that killed the battery, I hooked up the charger (read 76% before I turned it on) and took the Milano. When I got home a few hours later the battery was at 100% and the car was back to full operating mode. I drove it on a 20 mile r/t with several stops and had no problems.
Today I went out to move the car into position for a wash and vacuum-nothing. I got as far as verifying the 40A fuse and the 3A fuse on relay under the hood and battery connections before the mosquitoes attacked. Coincidentally, it was the ****tail hour so I quit.
So this isn't a battery issue as there was plenty of juice the first time.
What's the most efficient way to diagnose this? I have a suspicion it's ignition switch related, but that's not the logical place to start without smoke or a handful of loose parts.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
if its an auto car, the switch that reads PARK or NEUTRAL has to be working to allow the starter relay to engage. Starter relay obviously another along with ignition switch, but I;ve never seen either a bad relay or ign switch in an LS car.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Should have noted it's a manual.
By 'ignition switch related' I'm including all the connectors from the battery forward. This may turn out to be pretty simple...or not.
I have the door lights, seats, and horn, no headlights or radio, and 3 more bites.
This car is not sure if we're gonna be friends, but we're working on it!

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
I would check battery again for a dead cell.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes, check voltage level at battery and at the "jumping" point in the engine bay. (94s have the jumping connection behind the engine fan fuse, yes?)

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
12.7V at battery and both sides of 40A strip fuse. All other fuses everywhere are clean and good.
No juice to anything that is keyed.
Thanks!

·
Registered
346 Posts
If the ignition switch is having problems, I'd bet it has intermittent contacts. Have you tried jiggling, pushing and pulling the key around while in the ON position? If anything shows even a spark of life, that might be the culprit.

Radio Shack sells an excellent contact cleaner which is safe for plastics. I've had great luck with it over the years and have yet to see it harm any plastic. It's a small can and labeled "Control/Contact Cleaner and Lubricant."

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the jiggling and wiggling did.nothing. I flood irrigated the switch with contact cleaner to no avail. I'm going to look at the switch next, but it's now raining like mad so I'm in a holding pattern.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sounds like its something way upstream in the switched circuit. If memory serves, the ON circuit breaks out into a lot of subsystems each having their own fuses/relays/etc. For example, the radio and dashboard indicators work but the engine won't start due to a bad "red stripe" relay.

This has to be before almost everything! Ignition switch and related wiring seem the likely culprits. But others here on the BB may have better ideas.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem found-not fixed due to weather.
I dropped the fusebox door prior to removing the steering shroud. With key on, I wiggled a couple of plugs just 'cause and Bingo! Dash lights came on and the car started fine. Since there are Severe Storm Warnings (NWS caps) for my area, I just pulled it under back carport in case of hail. Wind is picking up and thunder in the east as we speak.
Tomorrow is going to be sunny and cool so I'll solve the problem in the morning.
Thanks for the advice. I now have some seriously clean electricals with more to come.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Hey Jeff, It sounds like you found the problem and that is good! Don't ask me how I know but if your oil level ever gets down to the 'Low' mark on the dipstick there is an ignition "lock out" that will prevent the starter motor from turning over at all; just locks it down!
I have not heard of this switch going bad but surely they must...ItsaTalian
Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts