Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newly acquired 1994 Spider Veloce Ce with many problems. The first thing I like to address are the brakes. Brake paddle went right down to the floor today zero pressure with the engine running, shut it down pumped the brake paddle and it regained pressure.What would be the first step in trouble shooting? Brake booster master cylinder etc. I rebuilt master cylinders and brake calibers on bikes but never on cars. Car has been laying idle for roughly 10 years. Any help or perhaps someone with a similar experience with this particular problem would be well appreciated.
Thanks In Advance,
Chuck

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
has the fluid level dropped, iow. any signs of fluid loss around the brake master, or down the booster?

Not worth rebuilding a brake master, better off getting a new (ATE) cylinder. The rebuild kits these days are not as comprehensive as the original ate rebuild kits, which are nla.
(I rebuilt my clutch master because that is simpler and I had the correct ATE kit)

the PNs (ATE original) is ATE 03.2120-4504.3 (short PN: ATE 010123) ...IF your cylinder is 20mm (a big "20" will be cast on side of cylinder)
should be 20, mine is, but you never know what a PO might have used.

before fitting a new master, it's wise to bench bleed it.
Ed wrote a great step-by-step on the whole procedure here (with pics!):
https://www.alfabb.com/threads/s3-brake-mc-is-leaking.451161/

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dom once again for your quick reply. I saw no visible signs of break fluid leakage around master cylinder and brake booster fluid is at the correct level. Is there some kind of test to perform to determine if its a brake booster or master cylinder?
Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
do you have a firm pedal and working brakes now?

the various simple booster tests I know of are:
pump brake pedal a few times (engine off)
hold pressure on pedal and start car...pedal should sink a little
or
start engine
press brake and hold pressure
turn off engine
brake pedal should not sink immediately
and
when engine has been running, turn it off and pull the vacuum hose from the inlet manifold.....if it is holding vacuum it will be difficult to pull off, and if you do get it off it might make a pop as vacuum is lost.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,987 Posts
Booster can’t make the pedal go to the floor. If you don’t have a leak then it’s the seals in the MC.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Chuck, if the car has been sitting for ten years, and has no brakes, then your first job won't be to fiddle around with the brake booster. Your first and priority job will be replacing or re-sealing the four calipers, and the master cylinder. Figure on doing the clutch master and slave cylinders, also. Depending on the miles on the car, it may need discs too. Once you have real brake pressure, THEN you can check out the booster (but I'd bet it's probably ok).

·
Registered
595 Posts
brake fuild can get past worn or dyed up seals, look ike you have fuild, yes. but when you press the pedal down the seals are sealing, and fuild is just passing by the seals..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chuck, if the car has been sitting for ten years, and has no brakes, then your first job won't be to fiddle around with the brake booster. Your first and priority job will be replacing or re-sealing the four calipers, and the master cylinder. Figure on doing the clutch master and slave cylinders, also. Depending on the miles on the car, it may need discs too. Once you have real brake pressure, THEN you can check out the booster (but I'd bet it's probably ok).
brake fuild can get past worn or dyed up seals, look ike you have fuild, yes. but when you press the pedal down the seals are sealing, and fuild is just passing by the seals..
[/QUOTE]
Yes I plan to replace the brake master cylinder and front and rear calipers. Does anyone know where to purchase a good aftermarket MC and Brake Caliper kits? (preferably state side) Also I would like to thank everyone for there input an knowledge. Since I acquired this little gem Ive been on this Forum quite a bit and without your help it would take a lot longer to gain the accurate information everyone provides.
Thanks again,
Chuck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts