Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home yesterday evening from a dr. appt. the lows quit working. I was switching from high to low, and got dark instead, with no dash icon.
Since it's raining heavily here today, I was only able to verify good fuses (not much of a chance they'd both blow) and the fact that the relay isn't clicking. Swapped the high and low relays to no avail. I think I know where this is going...

·
Premium Member
27,000 Posts
I would put my finger on the I49 low beam relay (middle one left side of fuse box) and with key on turn on headlight switch on. Does relay click? If not remove it and with key and headlight switch on check for 12v at pin socket 86. Pin 86 gets power from low beam switch setting in headlight switch.

Report your findings.

·
Premium Member
27,000 Posts
I have power at socket 86. I49 relay does click-had to use my stethoscope to hear it as I couldn't feel it.
Thanks!
OK then, test both pin 87s for 12v and the jumper the one with power (hot at all times) to pin 30 and see if low beams come on.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I know this will sound stupid, but have you checked the bulbs?

When I bought my LS, the seller said that there was a wiring problem affecting the low beams. In fact, both bulbs were burned out on the low beam side.

They were the crappy blue colored ones. Bought new bulbs from Dan Stern and have had no problems since.

·
Premium Member
27,000 Posts
I know this will sound stupid, but have you checked the bulbs?

When I bought my LS, the seller said that there was a wiring problem affecting the low beams. In fact, both bulbs were burned out on the low beam side.

They were the crappy blue colored ones. Bought new bulbs from Dan Stern and have had no problems since.
That is a good idea maybe one was already burned out and bingo the second one went!

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
there's only room for one idiot on this site - me. ciao jc

·
Premium Member
27,000 Posts
There is enough to go around. Let's let Jeff put our various possible hypotheses to the test.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PROBLEM SOLVED!
When I jumped 87 to 30 I got the driver side low beam. I pulled the passenger side bulb and it tested good, and I had 12V at the light socket plug. After cleaning the terminals on the bulb itself, both sides worked so I put the relay back in-and they still worked!
I'm going to go ahead and swap out the bulbs with some pretty fresh Sylvanias (Daniel Stern approved) that I had in my L.
Thank you all.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think my problem was twofold-a bad connection at the passenger side bulb plug, and a dirty female terminal 30 at the relay. It's all good now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts