Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My airbag light came on after the car had stood for a few months while replacing heater matrix and starter motor. If I replace the airbag CPU will this be enough to reset things?

Richard
1995 164 3.0 24v

·
Premium Member
27,158 Posts
My airbag light came on after the car had stood for a few months while replacing heater matrix and starter motor. If I replace the airbag CPU will this be enough to reset things?

Richard
1995 164 3.0 24v
That would depend on condition of ECU you install.

It would be best to find somebody with Marelli tester and air bag cartridge to reset your ECU fault code if system sound or follow Dimtey's process.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you intend to use the Wilco/Dimtey/Arjen/Allen Alfa 164 Diagnostcs 1.0.16 software to reset airbag light, make sure to get an FTDI-based usb to obd cable and adapter kit:

GUZZIDIAG DUCATIDIAG KIT - INTERFACE + ADAPTOR [LEZBGUZKIT01] - £19.99 : Lonelec, Fault Code Readers & ECU Diagnostic Equipment

http://www.lonelec.co.uk/index.php?main ... ucts_id=50

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Richard,

Richard
1995 164 3.0 24v
I'd suggest reading out the codes and trying to reset them first. I can help you with my program. There is also another tool that has been developed by wilco3006 that is capable of reading out airbag ECU codes.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Richard,

I'd suggest reading out the codes and trying to reset them first. I can help you with my program. There is also another tool that has been developed by wilco3006 that is capable of reading out airbag ECU codes.
Hi Dimtey,

Have seen the other airbag CPU working fine in its car. It is being scrapped so CPU and all parts available. Can I not just unplug it from this 164 and put it in mine? Seems a great opportunity.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Hi Richard,

Have seen the other airbag CPU working fine in its car. It is being scrapped so CPU and all parts available. Can I not just unplug it from this 164 and put it in mine? Seems a great opportunity.
If the airbag hardware is fully intact in your car (sensors, squibs, etc.), then a working ECU with no codes set should work well. If, however, there is some issue in the system (intermittent connection, high squib resistance), the new ECU will set a code and turn on the warning light.

Regards,
Dmitry

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi Dimtey,

Thanks. Sounds like it's worth a go. If it fails I'm no worse off than now.

Still no idea why my warning light came on in the first place. Car was without battery for 6 months. Could this have caused it?

Is there anything that tends to go first? If there is I could swap that part over too.

Cheers,

Richard

·
Registered
220 Posts
I managed to clear my 94LS airbag code using the wilco/dimtey software.
I used a cable kit from Lonelec.uk ..the FIAT/ALFA/LANCIA 3 pin to 16 pin cable and the 16 pin serial to USB cable..
Getting the SERIAL USB port functioning was a hassle until I disabled all the other USB port software, especially cel phone ports setup by my phone.
I used WINDOWS 7 and WINDOWS XP on an older machine...WINDOWS XP and manual driver installation proved easier to get up and running for me.
WINDOWS 7 was always updating with newer driver software until the software was deleted.

Eventually I got the USB SERIAL port established with the LONELEC driver and then overwrote with the 2012 WILCO driver.

Boot computer with 12V power to the OBD2 connector (blue LED on, and grounded), the blue light goes on with just the red power clip connected, the software won't work without a ground.
Turn on key after booting software with powered ODB2 cable.
You should see flashing green, red and yellow indicator lights.

The airbag unit was recognized within a few seconds and then READING CODES showed only one code:

POWER TO WARNING LIGHTS BROKEN (or similar)

CLEAR CODES eliminated the code and the flashing airbag lights went out within about 15 seconds.

I have no idea how long the system has had the code because I had to put replacement bulbs in the instrument panel.
Certainly I have had no power in the circuitry many times.

Thanks all

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi All - looking to get the code from someone to clear my warning light as well. I have a 1995 LS . My email is csduetto69 at aol. Thanks in advance for any help - the directions seem straight forward from all the various posts. I can do linux or windows. c.S.

·
Registered
164 Super 2.5TD 92kw
1 Posts
Hi to everyone, I'm new to the forum. Recently I took off the entire dashboard on my 164 super td 1997 so I could fix the bulkhead of the climatronic. I stupidly turned on the key with the passenger airbag disconnected so I could test the proper working of the bulkhead. Now I put everything back on its place but the airbag light still goes on. I tried to download Wilco's program and driver, installed everything but I cannot connect to the airbag ecu. On the airbag diagnostic connector there are only two wires, one is ground and the other one should be k or L line. My airbag ecu is Siemens from what I see and there aren't front crash sensors. Could anyone provide some help please? :cry:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hi to everyone, I'm new to the forum. Recently I took off the entire dashboard on my 164 super td 1997 so I could fix the bulkhead of the climatronic. I stupidly turned on the key with the passenger airbag disconnected so I could test the proper working of the bulkhead. Now I put everything back on its place but the airbag light still goes on. I tried to download Wilco's program and driver, installed everything but I cannot connect to the airbag ecu. On the airbag diagnostic connector there are only two wires, one is ground and the other one should be k or L line. My airbag ecu is Siemens from what I see and there aren't front crash sensors. Could anyone provide some help please? :cry:
You can use the program that Dimtey wrote to reset the light, but as for me, it didnt clear it for good though and it came back which means there is something that I need to fix. If you are sure everything is in place and there is nothing wrong with the system, the program should be able to clear it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
At least you didn't pay a garage to reset it and face having to pay again after trying to find the fault. Dimtey is a star for doing all this.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I am wondering if we can refresh this topic. I have the dreaded airbag light (my fault when repairing something or other) and if I understand teh past posts:

I need 2 cables-a usb to OBD2 and OBD2 to fiat 3 pin
I need the program
I need linux.

2 of the links for previously posted cables are not working.

If anyone has recent examples, could you please post?

A copy or location for the program will also be ideal.

Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
my light has behaved itself since 2016 post, lights up on preignition and goes out after a couple seconds.....don't know if the airbag works.. but the light does. My recollection, since the write up I posted is Greek to me now, is that getting ahold of an older laptop with Windows XP loaded made the biggest difference to getting the job done. Else I had trouble getting the software to see the ICU....I am no expert here but managed to endure and no problems since.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The laptop I have (with XP no less) but the rest i don't have and need to be sure of what I need to buy cable wise....then I have to find a copy of the program.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Looks like 2 cables there. Looks familiar and I may have seen something similar in a search. Thanks.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts