Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't check what's the problem, but my 94 164LS gas pedal can suddenly lost reposne and even engine dies.

Karl

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Karl, I'd start with the TPS ("potentiometer"). Check connection and verify voltage (according to test procedure) by turning the throttle. If that appears OK, check other electrical connections (CAS, AFM, ignition modules, ...).

·
Premium Member
27,174 Posts
Lift hood, start engine, wiggle air cleaner and see if inlet hose has crack in it and if air cleaner mounts are shot causing inlet hose to crack. If cracked air leak will cause engine to die if air cleaner loose or engine mounts loose so also check upper engine mount for play as well as front mount under alternator area.

·
Premium Member
16,075 Posts
The 24v engine is prone to this, and is likely to be the ignition modules multiconnectors due to their being exposed to all sorts of dirt and water spray. Clean those first with electronics spray cleaner and toothbrush, and then lube with plenty of dielectric grease. Always clean and protect with dielectric grease all electrical connections in the engine compartment before doing anything else.

Solved this very problem with my 94LS.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If the engine stumbles (like a hiccup) when you press down on the gas pedal to accelerate, then I'd say most likely it is due to air leak such as a spitted intake hose.

If the engine (24V) suddenly sort of cutout for fraction of a second and then power come right back (even with a more or less steady gas pedal), then you get what appears to be a common problem for the 24V engine/system. I had this on my 94LS when I first got the car. I have never able to pinpoint exactly what caused it except to say it is electrical. I think I still had this occasionally even after the ignition modules were replaced. But it does not seem to come up much lately so perhaps I did something. I have a feeling that another possibility that causes this is the swiping arm contact(s) against the circuit board resistance traces (wearing out or poor contact) inside the TPS or the AFM.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Bob I had exact same thing

on my 95 LS and never found a root cause. It seems to have gone away though!

I would like more info from the original author of this thread with a better description of what is going on? I donlt know if the pedal cable is broken, etc.. MORE INFO AND DESCRIPTION PLEASE KARL..

·
Premium Member
16,075 Posts
Yup, can be a very frustrating problem to be driving along at speed and suddenly have the engine cut out for from 1/2 sec to several minutes at a time. Fought this for about a year until cleaning and greasing the multiconnectors. Since then I've had no problems with it, including a 7000 mile excursion to Texas and around. Engine hasn't missed a beat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts