Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am putting up for sale my 1994 LS this car has only 39k miles. I am the second owner. I have used it mostly as a weekend driver, it has always been garaged and covered. It has all options: sunroof, leather seat, power everthing, except for cd player. The car is an automatic. This car is in very good condtion, I took second place in a S. Cal. alfa club meet last year. New baby, new house, and wanting to finish Alfa racecar project is the reason I am selling. $8000 OBO

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice car ;)
But the automatic gear box in an Alfa....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Michael, don't be so quick to judge. I have a 93 164 L with an automatic. This is a great highway cruiser. I feel the cultured nature of the 164's makes them ideal candidates for an automatic. I would argue that the front wheel drive is more of an issue as far as performance driving. However, in the northeast where I live, front wheel drive makes this
Alfa a year round car. And at 39,000 miles, this Alfa is bearly broken in. I bought mine with 78,000 on the clock, soon had to do the tranny and I added some upgrades, cross drilled and slotted brake rotors all around, 17 inch Anterra wheels, changed timing belt and tensioner, steering rack, and lots of rubber hoses. Car cost me $12,000 with everything done and it gets more attention than most 5 series bimmers. What else can you drive for 12,000 K, a Kia Sephia?? I think that's called a no brainer!!!!! The general.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I don't want to be rude...

and I've owned over 50 Alfas, but no one but an Alfa guy would pay that kind of money.

The Retail book on the car is less than $5000, and the Wholesale book on the car is about $3500.

In addition to being a long time Alfa guy, I'm a member of the North American Dealer's Association Classic Car Advisory Board.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
true, but then again only an alfa guy would buy an alfa. so, it doesn't really matter.

it's sad to see these cars so low in the blue book. what's the deal with that? when my milano verde got rear ended, the insurance company wanted to give me $2500. i lauged and did not stop fighting till i won. i just gathered ads to show what the real value is. you gotta do that with any alfa.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I don't want to be rude.....etc. If the gent selling this car is willing to accept $5,000, I'll be the first one to offer that.
Blue book value and actual value can sometimes be diametrically opposed. My point is that regardless of the tranny type, at 39,000 miles the car for sale has legs. My mechanic's personal preference is the earlier 164's because of maintenance costs of the 4 cam engine that appeared in the LS's. This is why I purchased my 93.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
This isn't typical

but I do consulting work for Hyundai (before you say ugh, let me remind you that one of the most fervent Alfa guys in the US, Pat Braden, who passed away last August, also worked for them)..

In any regard, I can buy a Hyundai Elantra GT, leather seats, power windows, disc rear brakes instead of drum rears as on the other Elantras, air, CD, 2 liter motor about 140 hp, with a 10 year 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty, 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, and 5 years unlimited mileage free roadside service 800 number (even coming out to change a tire) for around $12,500 INCLUDING all tax and license fees. MSRP would be about $14,800 plus taxes and license (out the door figure of about $16,200). Why would I, even though I'm a long time Alfa guy, consider the $8000 Alfa 164? I know not everyone can get that kind of a discount, and a Hyundai isn't an Alfa, but...

Now, if you were talking about a totally restored GTV or something like that for the same $8000, it might be a much different story... :D

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
You're right. Only an Alfa guy would buy this car, or for that matter any used Alfa.

I hope that LS ends up with an Alfa owner, not someone who wants to save $4K from buying an Elantra.

And as far as the 24-valve having higher maintenance $$$ than the 12-valve, I'm going to call BS on that. My dad has a 93 164L and I have a 94 164LS/Super.

Outside of the timing belt changes (50,000 miles recommended), brake pads, wiper blades, oil changes and tires, I have not spent anything extra on it. My 94 fires up every time, hauls crap around, takes me to work everyday and does the boring urban cycle everyday since I've gotten it (1996). My dad has similar experiences with his 93, so I'm no worse off, except that I have 30hp more :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
dretceterini I based my price on kelly blue book on the net, they listed at $8200. This was when I first started to think about selling it. I checked it agin today to see if I was that far off, and they listed private party value in excellent condition at $7750. So my price is on the high side. I will take less then the kelly blue book I just used it as a starting place. What blue book are you using. Are blues books any different? I don't think your rude you just are not in the market for a 215 hp alfa it is a very different car than 140hp hyundai. I don't laugh at hyundais Rodney King gave the cops a good run right. I also know a porsche race engine builder who worked for hyundai and I have great respect for his skill.

·
Registered
282 Posts
attaboy Andy, don't take no guff from no one!
8K is a steal for that car with those miles, in that condition. All the guys that want to talk you down would buy it cheap in order to turn around and sell it themselves at a profit.
Do you plan on putting the money into the spider racer or (gasp!) the GTI??

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Hey, I'm not trying to talk anyone down!

I've been involved with Alfas for more years than many of you have been alive!

PERSONALLY, I have no interest in any Alfas newer than a 105 series car,but I will probibly buy an Alfa for my daily driver when they return to the US (147 or 156; preferably a GTA if I can afford it)...

I'm just trying to provide some rational and logical thinking. Alfa people are few and far between in the US today. When you can buy a decent (not great, but decent) alternative with a full warranty for not that much more than a 10 year old Alfa (sure, it might be in great shape, but it still is 10 years old), than why not buy the new car?

Maybe I've just gotten too rational and logical in my old age to be a true Alfacionado :rolleyes:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hey it's coffeepete, I mean gtvpete. Did you just drop in to stir things up a little. Wow! first Phil and then you all in one week this site is getting too popular, I am going to have to find a new chat room. And whats this mid-day post don't you have a job!

The money would go to the duetto race project. I'll have to post some pictures so you know it does exist. I'll sell the black bomb when its done. The gti will get done sometime after that if at all. I would do it first but the alfa cup has become such good racing that I can't see driving the gti in the open race group being as much fun.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Who me?

I'm working as a consulatant for Hyundai but am on the computer a lot, so I check this site a couple of times a day.

I haven't had an Alfa in almost 6 years now and am looking for a car that is totally restored with everything correct (as it came from the factory). It doesn't have to be Pebble Beach quality, but I want something that needs no work. I'm tired of restoring cars. Anything 105 series and older. Even another 2600 will do, but I don't want to spend a lot of money (don't have it anyway).

I would buy a 147 or 156 (or their replacements), but last I heard Alfa isn't coming back until 2006 or 2007...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Dear Doc, now you've really confused me! It's ok to purchase a 30 year old 105 body (which by the way I have- I own a 64 giulia sprint gt, can be seen in the photo gallery section- will never be for sale while I'm alive) but not a 10 year old pampered car that you can take into any affair and turn heads, as opposed to a Hyundai, where unfortunately no heads will turn. With regard to service, in NY we are very fortunate. We have an excellent mechanic who is dedicated to Alfas and his customers. I've need Giuessepe LoRe's assistance twice (both with the giulia- heck it is 39 years old) and he has come and flat-bedded the car at no cost. Granted, I am a good customer, but that's what I call service!!
So, with all do respect, I'll pocket the $4,500 and buy some Nortel or Corning and take my chances with the Alfa. I never want to fit in a box, except when I'm dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Sorry, but a 164 a Milano or an Alfetta...

will never turn my head, no matter how perfect they are. They have about as much interest to ME as a 1994 Toyota Camry. Maybe that's because I'm OLD and have had Alfas for over 35 years..

The 30 year old cars are another story...they are playtoys and have nothing to do with using an Alfa as a daily driver (although I did use a 2600 coupe pretty much as a daily driver from 1992 to 1995)...

·
Registered
484 Posts
A Camry, the most generic of the generic. You may call yourself an ?"Alfisti" but you probably have never driven a Verde or a 164. Sorry, but I'll gladly take my 164 over my neighbor's Camry and I'll keep my 64 giulia as my playtoy too!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
i loved my verde's (one now owned my SUPER-RACERand the other now in the hands of GTVPETE) and as much fun as it was to drive every day, i'd rather be in my gt junior. the milano was fun for long trip cuz it was comfortable, quiet, and had a/c. for around the town stuff or freeway comutes upto a couple hours, i'd prefer my junior...there is nothing like the sound, crazy lane changes, and numerous thumbs up from people who have no clue what they are looking at. i had a 164 for a few months. i did not like it cuz it was not exciting enough for me. i am young right now and the gt junior does it, but i know as soon as i get a "real job" and a few years older, i am gonna look for that clean 164 cuz i need something that is not gonna bust my back, has a great radio, quiet, smooth, and has great a/c.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.