Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question ...What should compression reading normally be for this car
Readings recorded ~168 /170 PSI for all cylinders ?

Thank you

Ron

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Sounds reasonable...did you run the compression with the throttle wide open and all plugs out?

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,597 Posts
Compression little low but does engine run if so did you do test after running engine and then removing plugs.

Just got a 164L to run again after finding bad ignition rotor but before I did it only haf about 90 psi compression all 6 and then with marvel mystery oil down plug holes and a spin without sparkplugs to wet rings and cylinder walls it jumped up some mid 100's.

After I got it to run and drive awhile to clear out oil from cat and smoke from exhaust pipe, I pulled plugs and opened throttle plate and got about 180 for all 6.

Good strong 164 engines give me 195-210psi with plugs out and throttle body butterfly blocked open.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
92 164L compression

Hi! Steve,
Thnak you....Yes compression was checked after runninng the car...Found that valve cover seals must be replaced, adjust valves, replace plugs ( soaked with oil) and possibly more

Ron

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,597 Posts
Hi! Steve,
Thnak you....Yes compression was checked after runninng the car...Found that valve cover seals must be replaced, adjust valves, replace plugs ( soaked with oil) and possibly more

Ron
What?Watt? "Found that valve cover seals must be replaced, adjust valves, replace plugs" These don't raise compression, Only valve adjust if valve clearances 0.000" and then it is to late as valves will be burnt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
92 164L Compression

Hi! Steve,
Oops ...Looking for causes of Smog failure, and decided to check compression as well while all the plugs were out...

Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts