Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 534 Posts

·
Push hard and live
11,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a bad battery, but fixed.

Not as perfect as a new car, but by far the best preserved looking 21 year old car I’ve owned.

Waiting for Hagerty To figure out how to cover it so I can go register it.

Woo hoo. An Alfa Coupe with modern AC.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Push hard and live
11,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Because of the current limitations against lengthy signatures, I can’t add to the list of Alfas I’ve owned.

Yes, I drove it around the block.
I’ve long felt Alfa Coupes were the pointy end of the Alfa stick.
To quote “Alfas build the very best car in the world.... for a little while”

In one tour around the block I found myself thinking...

This car is NOT about to pull something loose.
The steering is light, unambiguous, and QUICK.
How does a 21 year old car look like it’s held together so well?
So, this is what a car looks like after 20 years and 45,000 miles after it’s been owned by a rich guy who had 29 other options for a thrill ride, and an on-staff Alfa-savvy mechanic.
How much would it actually cost me if I got busted for taking a banzai drive up to Tahoe and back with no registration or insurance?
No power seats?
Crap radio installation.
AC needs a charge. I hope.
If the leap in competency from an 85 GTV6 to this is so massive, what must an 8C be like?
I hope Hagerty takes a deep breath and books the insurance tomorrow.
I need to order the timing belt and water pump kit from OKP before I embarrass myself by rash behavior.

I may not have the strength of character to resist a Renegade Tahoe run.

·
Administrator
14,622 Posts
v6?

Pete

·
Push hard and live
11,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope. 2L twinspark.

I didn’t go looking for it. It popped up in front of me.

Based upon my research, there are arguments for both engines. The 3.0 blows your hair back. The 2.0 has balance and precision.

Either would have been fine, but I’m happy it’s a 4-pot.

·
Registered
723 Posts
very cool, jealous

·
Administrator
14,622 Posts
Keep an eye on the oil level, but their reputation might be undeserved

Pete

·
Push hard and live
11,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a little research before bidding. Much more positive than negative. The negative boiled down to “do not be lax with specified maintenance”. Fair advice on any car.

My 77 Spider was regularly dealer-maintained, and about the time Alfa left in 95 the original owner grew too old to drive the car. After I bought it from his son, only age-related repairs were necessary and I’ve got a rattle-free, tight, sweet driver.

In contrast, two other local Spiders appear to have been owned by a series of thugs whose only tools were wire cutters and black tape. Hard to relax when in the presence of those cars.

Hopefully Hagerty will confirm coverage today, I can get it registered, then order the timing belt and water pump kit from OKP, and the adventure will begin.

While I’m waiting on those parts, I’ll deal with the door speakers. I’ll save that story for later.

At the same time, I need to finish a few details on the Fetta so it can be moved through EBay.

Reactions: PSk

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Tahoe run...DO IT!

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
788 Posts
It was never my favorite alfa.
I'll wait for the Brera.
The Twin Spark engines are really good. Top notch of the 4 banger NA Alfa collection in my opinion.
Had a 75 Twin Spark when i was a kid.

·
Administrator
14,622 Posts
75 Twin Spark engine is a different engine to the 916. The 916 is FIAT based with a cast iron block

Pete

·
Push hard and live
11,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the insurance today. Off to DMV for move permit, so I can get a VIN check, so I can get it registered. Should be legal for a drive in a couple of hours.

·
Push hard and live
11,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand that the 916 could be had with either the Fiat-based Twin Spark, or the 3.0 Busso. I might even have read about a 3.2 Busso, but wasn't paying close attention.

The general thought was that everyone knew how to maintain the 3.0 V6, so it tended to be bullet proof, whereas the twin-spark was something of an unknown, so got neglected. Best not to do that.

The 3.0 is often described as thrilling, but the 2.0 as better balanced. I'm nearly 70. I'll go for balanced. But, in this case, it wasn't an option.

Reactions: PSk

·
Administrator
14,622 Posts
Well yeah. After the 75 all engines changed. Even the busso I think.
Yes true, but I meant that the 916 engine genealogy is from a 100% FIAT engine:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_GTV_and_Spider said:
The 2.0-litre 16-valve Twin Spark engine of the 2.0 TS model was based on the Fiat SuperFIRE-family block, featuring an Alfa Romeo-developed cylinder head with two spark plugs per cylinder.
Actually I'm sure it is a better engine than Alfa's aging twin spark :)
Pete

·
Push hard and live
11,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got insured. Drove down to get the VIN-Check. ****y fellow asked me to open the driver’s door so he could scan the barcode. Uhhhhh. Not there. Walked him through the story, and got my paper. Booked next available appointment (August 26!) to complete registration. My 10-day Movement Permit is blessed by the state to be good well into September. So.... good to go.

The car is astonishingly quiet. Definitely quieter than my Mazda 6 Grand Touring S. The exhaust note can just be heard, but doesn’t intrude.

The chassis feels like Alfa/Fiat really did their homework on achieving isolation with a very precise connection to what’s going on below. The soft steering makes a tight turn with only a 90 degree rotation of the wheel. But, not twitchy or anesthetized. Just exact.

I’ve not been on a highway yet, so no impression of full throttle. It comes off idle with quite an urge.

Most front wheel, or transaxle, cars feel like the shifter communicates via semaphore with the trans. The disappearingly short shifter here feels like it’s connected directly to the guts of the trans. The throw distance is tiny, yet I never doubted what gear I was in or how to get to the next. It’s finger tip operation, not grab-and-yank.

Tomorrow.... find AC repair shop.

·
Administrator
14,622 Posts
I assume your gearbox is the same as my 156v6's?; a wonderful gearbox

Pete

·
Push hard and live
11,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We never got 156s over here, either. I’ve got the 4-cyl TS. No idea if that would be the same box as for the V6. It really is another example of the Italians coming up with something you never thought you’d want or like, but.... whoa. Finger tip shifting. Takes getting used to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had a bad battery, but fixed.

Not as perfect as a new car, but by far the best preserved looking 21 year old car I’ve owned.

Waiting for Hagerty To figure out how to cover it so I can go register it.

Woo hoo. An Alfa Coupe with modern AC.
What year is your GTV You may try AAA Ins. I have a 1997 Spider T-Spark Ron

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
44 Posts
I understand that the 916 could be had with either the Fiat-based Twin Spark, or the 3.0 Busso. I might even have read about a 3.2 Busso, but wasn't paying close attention.

The general thought was that everyone knew how to maintain the 3.0 V6, so it tended to be bullet proof, whereas the twin-spark was something of an unknown, so got neglected. Best not to do that.

The 3.0 is often described as thrilling, but the 2.0 as better balanced. I'm nearly 70. I'll go for balanced. But, in this case, it wasn't an option.
The 916 was also sold in several markets with a 2.0L Turbocharged Busso. This engine was developed in response to Italian tax laws which penalised engines over 2.0. It is a sleeved down version of the 12V 3.0. Good to read that there are other 916 blasting around north America.

1 - 20 of 534 Posts