Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Members,

I am ordering a box full of parts to do some spring maintenance - and wish to chance the diff. oil as part of the process.

International Auto Parts sells two different types of 75W90 depending on whether you have limited slip or not.

My Question: which type of differential do I have based on the year and model?

Thanks in advance!

Aaron
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
A '91 should be a limited slip. You can tell by looking at the bottom plate on the differential. If it's strictly rectangular, then it's NOT a LSD. If it has a jut-out on the forward part of the plate, then it's a LSD.

Take good care of that differential. They're really expensive to repair . . . so make sure the oil is good and it's NEVER EVER run dry. . . . . . and you're not running worn-out u-joints on the drive shaft.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does anybody know anything of the "testing for a LSD" ju-ju?

I've heard many times that with both rear wheels in the air, spinning one wheel by hand and watching what happens to the other wheel will tell you if you have a normal/LS diff. Other wheel spins in same direction = LSD, spins in opposite direction = normal diff.

I've also heard a few times that this test is questionalble and/or only works with certain types of LSD.

So I've got a diff with the LSD identifying bump at the front of the casing, but the test above says it's a normal diff.

Anyone know?

Dan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts