Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally took the spider out for a drive today and noticed the speedometer isn’t working. After some checking, the odometer works fine along with the trip counter. Fuse is good, changed just in case. Cable connected tight to the speedo-pulse generator. What can I check short of talking the gauge pod apart? What wire colors do I need to be concerned with? What can I test?
Thanks,
Danny

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,057 Posts
If the odometer is working then it's likely something internal with the speedometer motor. I suspect your only option is to pull the speedo and get it fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I thought after checking and testing all connections. It there an easier way of pulling the gauge pod other than removing the knee-pads and working up to the pod? Anyone know of a speedo repair business other then Palo Alto Speedometer in the SF-East bay area?
Danny

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Danny,

On my 86 Spider, you pull the bezel off the front of the instrument cluster, loosen 3 screws and "unplug" the whole cluster from about 3 connectors. The speedometer has another three fasteners attaching it to the gauge cluster.

Palo Alto averages about $200 to repair- don't know of anyone else but do know that I've never heard anyone complain about Palo Alto Speedometer, including myself. They repaired mine about 2 years ago, its still working...

If yer worried about $200, that's about what some people spill every month in the bars and pubs.

Duke

·
Registered
129 Posts
if you read through that thread you can likely save a few bucks and get it going yourself.It worked on mine.Seems to be a common problem with the dash pod and likely it needs some contact cleaner and a turn back and forth on the adjustment screw.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you can't fix it on your own, give Palo Alto a try, they can repair it in short time and give you a one year warranty (I used them and was quite pleased).

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I sent my tach to Palo Alto and he had a great turn around to get it back to me within a week.

On the fuse I found that my fuse was blow when I noticed that both my back up lights and heater fan weren't working, this is the same fuse for the speedo but the speedo worked? What does that fuse control for the speedo? :confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 91 Veloce and the needle would never read higher than 25mph even though the odometer read correctly. I followed John M advise and corrected the speedo with no problem. Just remember to take a needle or something to scratch a small mark to show where the original screw setting was so you can set it back exactly.
The proper way to clean that screw contact would probably be to put a drop on tuner cleaner on it before turning it back and forth. It can be bought at Radio Shack. I didn't have any at the time and simply turned it to its full range both ways 15 or 20 times to clear away the oxidation.
I had an old stereo once that emitted lots of static when turning the volume up or down. When it got that way I would turn the volume control back and forth (with power off) a good number of times and it would be fine for a couple of years.
This was by far a better choice than sending it to Palo Alto and incurring all that cost. Before I learned of John M solution, I called Palo and they said it sounded like they had to completely go through the whole unit and run diagnostics, etc. If they are experienced, seems they are not relating truthfully. The only other choice is that they don't know their stuff, (which I doubt) otherwise why would they do ALL that stuff instead of going right to the problem. The reason I suspect...to justify charging you $200.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Speedo repair

Another option I used 2 years ago for my '93 Spider was West L.A. Automotive Center when my speedo stopped working. Cost was $184.50 which included shipping and 1 year warranty, could be a bit more to repair today. 2 years later the speedo works fine. www.speedometerplus.com, 877-900-9009.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, Have a 91 spider and the speedo does not work but the odd does. I like what you are suggesting here, but I have one question. After clearing the oxidation on the set screw, is there any wat=y to test the speedo before you put it back in? I have not attempted to get mine out yet. Sounds like a pain in the neck so once would be better than twice! Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts