Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my transmission re-done about 8 months ago and for whatever reason I can only get the car in reverse gear about 15% of the time without grinding. To work around this issue I've been starting the car in the reverse gear but you can imagine this is not always appropriate for day to day driving. Do I need to get in contact with my mechanic to have him fix the transmission or is this just a simple clutch adjustment?

Let me know if this is a common issue, id love to hear feedback! :)

P.S. I am typically able to get the car in reverse upon starting but if it has been running a while that is when it gives me trouble. Thanks.

-Steven

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Could this be a hydraulic clutch issue? Maybe the hydraulic clutch cylinders are not fully actuating when the clutch is depressed. All the gears are syncro except reverse. You might want to go under the dash and pull back the dust boot on the clutch master cylinder to look for leaking fluid behind the boot. Same on the slave cylinder. Since the problem is erratic and transmissin parts are so mechanically constant, I would check the clutch hydraulics first. Besides, it costs nothing to do these checks.

Other possibility is that the rear transmission mount is degrading and the position of the shifter is droping, possibly binding the gear shifter. This should not be the problem as I would assume the transmission rebuilder would have checked the rear mount while the transmision was being disassembled/reassembled. But stranger things have been known to happen.

Since you just had the transmission removed and replaced, check the position of the console to be sure that it is properly installed and not binding the shifter. The console had to be removed and replaced when the transmission was removed and replaced.

Be sure to let us know what it was/is when you get an answer. We always like to know how things eventually worked out.

Good Luck, Robert

·
Administrator
17,048 Posts
Try this: with the engine running & transmission in neutral, push the clutch pedal down then move the shift lever towards another gear then shift into reverse. It doesn't have to be all the way into the other gear (say 2nd or 5th) but enough to use that gears synchro to stop the spinning layshaft. Then the shift into reverse should be easy. (this should also be done for the shift into first.)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I occasionally have a short grind when first going into 1st or reverse. Sometimes happens cold, sometimes hot (warmed up). Eric, I've been using your method extensively to shift into 1st and rev. But why do these gears grind when shifting to them?

FYI, I've also had really bad grinding going from, say, fourth, to 2nd.

Vince

·
Administrator
17,048 Posts
Eric, I've been using your method extensively to shift into 1st and rev. But why do these gears grind when shifting to them?
Because there is no synchro method for the shift from neutral to 1st or reverse. Thus, if the gears are spinning and you push in the clutch pedal and quckly shift into 1st or R the spinning gears don't always mesh smoothly. Either wait long enough for them to stop spinning or use another gear's synchro to stop the spinning gears.

I've also had really bad grinding going from, say, fourth, to 2nd.
Unless you are nearly stopped while in 4th gear you are asking the 2nd gear synchro to work very hard match the gear speeds for a smooth shift. And the 2nd gear synchro already tends to be the most over-worked synchro and thus wears out before the others.

To help the synchro you can 'double clutch'. Push the clutch pedal down, shift out of 4th into neutral, let the clutch up and rev up the engine, press the clutch in again and shift into 2nd. This speeds up the gears so the synchro has less work to do.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,527 Posts
First and reverse are not synchronized from neutral. You need to stop the gears from spinning before shifting into them. You can do this by either holding the clutch down for a few seconds before shifting, or by shifting into another gear before selecting first or reverse.

If these tricks don't work and you're still getting grinding, it's likely your clutch is not fully releasing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I reverse, I usually give a quick light throw down to fourth and then over to reverse. No problems, no grinding. Eric's post above excellent regarding the matter.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes I see now.. it makes sense regarding the spinning gears and synchros and all. The way I drive my 91 Spider, I do N-4-1 for first. Then I do N-3-R for reverse. I now avoid downshifting too aggressively, just in order 4-3-2-1. Sometimes I just leave it in 3rd and coast to the stop before throwing neutral.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts