Alfa Romeo Forums banner

91 Spider on E Bay Sells for 33,100!!!

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Soundblaster 
#1 ·
Unbelievable....I don't care how many miles the car has, thats an incredible amount of $$$$ to pay. I wonder if the winning bidder knew that the car was for sale off ebay for about 5,000 bucks less.

#5 ·
Unbelievable....QUOTE]

That word sums it up pretty well. Although it is quite possible. I received an almost identical bid approximately 5 years ago when I put my spider up on ebay... The winning bider was a Nigerian who offered to pay me an additional $7,000 if I would just deposit his check for the purchase price + 10,000 and send the $3,000 outstanding by Western Union to him with the car to be sent by me as soon as I was able to arrange shipping.

The Secret Service agent I surrendered the check to had a huge grin...and I decided to keep my spider:D

#6 · (Edited)
I think our good buddy Green Dragon has the real bottom line here.

We had a NEW Alfa out of the Seattle Ferrari dealership that sold last summer for much less this silly bid.

Oh, at this price, my pristine '93 with 14k miles is for sale :)

#7 · (Edited)
eBay fun

I think our good buddy Green Dragon has the real bottom line here.
I'm afraid not this time, and I would venture a guess the buyer has no typical buyer remorse either.

While the price was more than I would pay, even if I had the disposable income to do so, it is difficult to find a nearly new Alfa in this country and with some exceptions, it usually takes two bidders to drive an auction to near double the "typical" high book value. Cars do sell at Barrett Jackson for even more incredible prices, and some folks just don't need to worry about next months rent when they want what they want. Rube? That's a bit off the wall!

Now lets review: how many people are finding the proposed $200,000 new price on the 2008 8C Competizione a little high?

#10 ·
I'm sure some people will pay for the "new Alfa" (~$220K out the door) just to have one and speculate as much as possible..but I doubt it will be popular here unless Alfa does something about their dealer network and overall presence in the American market. That past reputation is a lot to overcome IMHO..

Frank

#13 ·
Well, I guess this car answers the question of whethrer Veloce Spiders are worth more than standard Spiders. This car appears to be a standard model and I have not seen a Veloce for for this kind of money:rolleyes:

#14 · (Edited)
91 Spider on E Bay Sold for 33,100!!!

This is getting more interesting, if still strange. I had invited him to join AROO and AROC, but I just heard back that the car didn't fit and he no longer has it, even though he knew he paid too much using autobid. Was apparently just a tiny bump in the road.

#18 ·
It appears to be in pristine condition, the engine compartment is immaculate and all of the engine stickers are even immaculate. It is a standard spider with what appear to be hubcaps instead of the alloy wheels and obviously the vinyl seats, which look pristine as well. It is probably about as close as you can get to a fully original new spider, but $33k? No way. I thought mine was nice, but this makes mine look like a POS. I wonder if the rubber bits are falling apart like the engine mounts and bushings? It is a 16-17 year old car, even if it is garaged.

Todd

#19 ·
That particular $33k Spider was inspected and found to be in pristine condition. (I was not involved in the inspection, but did originally ask a lot of questions on behalf of a serious buyer who did make an offer on the car.) It is in fact a "correct" 1991 Spider. It is not a Spider Veloce. Hence the OEM standard wheels and vinyl trim. Cars in this condition are very rare, and so I can understand why a seller would ask for an amount way over the price asked for other cars. The condition of the car is way above the rest, so the price is also way above the rest. These one-off cases don't really establish a market price. Most Spiders which are in a condition way above the rest usually change hands infrequently, and typically through a private transaction between parties within the same car circle. The price is typically what most people would consider outrageous, but both seller and buyer feel that it is what the car is worth.

Best regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.