Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 Spider with only 23,000 miles but it has been sitting a lot of the time and I think the seals etc have dried out. When I shift and then start to give it gas it clunks. If the sound wasnt coming from the back I would think it sounds like a motor mount.
The sound also reminds me of the bad u-joint sound in my old chevy when I was a kid.
Anybody hear of this before, is it flex disc or ujoints or?

Also, does anybody know where to buy a passenger side electric mirror?

Thanks!

Terry

·
Registered
520 Posts
the trannymount on these are pretty odd and suspended, so age will detiorate them and under torque it can start to stress stuff.

lots of folks have actually isolated an issue like yours to something as simple as mis-positioned exhaust pipes. they also can clank against the floorboards under torque.

lastly take a good look at the driveshaft and the 'Guibo' rubber and universal joints there. (like your chevy, except with a rubber disc behind them)

23k miles?? yeesh. what are you the 40year old virgin?? get out and drive that **** thing

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Also, does anybody know where to buy a passenger side electric mirror?

Thanks!

Terry

:rolleyes:Firsa rule of Italian driving - whoever issa behind you doesnta matter:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased the car with 23,000 miles on it and it came with the passenger mirrow glued on with epoxy or something that leaked down the side of the base, not preatty. Im talking about between the base and the mirror, so I dont know how to get it off or fix it with out screwing it up worse than it probably already is...

T

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
It can probably be fixed but would need refinishing when you got through.
What happens is the swivel gets broken off between the two parts, then they get glued.
I have had good luck with mine. What I did was seperate the two sections and then use lamp parts (Hollow threaded Rod with nuts and washers) and created a new pivot point. I ran the wires through the rod. Both mirrors on my 91 have been like this for over 7 years and have been bumped by folks walking past the car several times. I would think that you might have to use a drummel tool to cut the epoxy off and then sand and prime, maybe using a bit of filler. A friendly body shop should be able to help if you have never done anything like this, but it is very simple work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts