Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'64 Spider Normale (Bought new), now "abnormale"; '91 Spider Veloce
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having difficulty draining/bleeding the hydraulic clutch system on my 1991 Spider Veloce. I replaced the rubber hose with a SS hose by disconnecting the feed from clutch master cylinder just at the front of the transmission. However, I am unable to get any fluid draining from the feed line. I tried depressing the clutch pedal and letting it return slowly (per the Alfa Repair Manual) to no avail. I then attached the new SS line from reservoir feed to the slave cylinder, and opened the bleed on the slave cylinder, and repeated the depressing and releasing the clutch pedal with no result, again.

Next, I attached a brake bleeding adapter (a pressure-based bleeder Motive Products 0101 - Motive Products Power Bleeder Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com ) to the top of the fluid reservoir and, following the included instructions, brought the system up to 10 psi., again with no fluid being discharged from the reservoir.

Could someone please advise how I may proceed?

·
Administrator
17,466 Posts
Hydraulic clutches are often difficult to bleed. But the pressure bleeder should have done something. (did you push down on the pedal with the system pressurized? I assume you would have to but I've never used one of those.)

Are you sure the hard line between the master & the connector for the flex line is not clogged or kinked closed?

·
Registered
'64 Spider Normale (Bought new), now "abnormale"; '91 Spider Veloce
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hydraulic clutches are often difficult to bleed. But the pressure bleeder should have done something. (did you push down on the pedal with the system pressurized? I assume you would have to but i've never used one of those.)

are you sure the hard line between the master & the connector for the flex line is not clogged or kinked closed?
thanks. I'll sure look at the items you mention, although the clutch worked ok before i decided to install the ss hose.

·
Administrator
17,466 Posts
Did you have any difficulty removing the old flex hose? The steel line didn't get twisted or kinked during removal did it? Or some dirt/crud fall into the open fitting?

When I have needed to bleed hydraulic clutch systems I've had the best luck by reverse bleeding - pushing fluid up via the bleed screw. I get a 60 ml syringe, attach a short length of hose, fill the syringe with brake fluid and push it up to the master (make sure the reservoir doesn't overflow - brake fluid is a good paint remover). This way I am pushing air uphill vs trying to bleed with the pedal - pushing air down & out the slave. Usually once I get the system 99% filled, the bleed with the pedal method will work to get the final air bubble out.

BTW, once you figure out the problem, make sure the clutch slave is rotated so that the bleed screw is uppermost. Otherwise you won't get all the air out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts