Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading threads to get some ideas on what to replace the OEM front door speakers with, I opted for a pair of the Pioneer TS-1341's (Local Walmart had them cheap) and when I got them all mounted and connected, the driver side door speaker, is causing me problems (passenger door speaker sounds great)... I get all sorts of electrical gremlins running about (probably explains why the driver door speaker was missing in the first place)...power windows don't want to work, oil light and check engine light come on, disconnect the speaker and all is back to normal. Sometimes I get sound out of the speaker, sometimes I don't....

Not sure where to begin in tracking down the problem. All is OEM (wiring, wiring harnesses, clarion receiver, etc.)....or do I just settle for 3-speaker sound and save the headache???? Grrr....

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
Grounds......would be my first opinion.

When I got my 93 back in 1999, I spent one long Saturday afternoon removing and cleaning every wiring connection I could reach....inside and under the car....including cleaning every light socket, replacing the bulbs, and replacing every fuse. May seem overkill but I have not had any electrical problems.

When I replaced the radio and had the dash open, I continued the process. Ditto on the speakers, CD changer in the trunk, battery, etc.

Cool afternoon, music on, cool beverages..........

YMMV,
Rob

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,085 Posts
Woo - that's a weird one.

One thing that can happen (and which happened to me) is that the wires can break/short where they run from the door to the body through the rubber connector tube. That's the most likely point of failure for the speaker wires. It's a guess, but maybe that's what's happening to you.

With the door wide open, you can slide off the rubber tube and inspect the wires. IIRC I had to cut through some very sticky, messy electrical tape to get to the actual wires. After doing this I found one wire completely snapped and the insulation on others not looking so good.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts