Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a head gasket on my '91 about a month ago and this morning was the first time I could take it out because the snow was finally gone. 38 degrees this morning. It was hard to start and would not run at "high idle" after starting. After warmup it stalled after I backed out of the garage. Ran well between idle and 1500 rpm, but when I tried to accelerate up a small grade the engine would cut out momentarily at about 2000rpm. When I let off the gas it would run fine but cut out (like turning the ignition switch off) every time I tried to accelerate. I doesn't seem like a fuel problem because there is no sputtering involved. The ignition light also comes on every time it hesitates and the tach dies. I would assume it to be a faulty connector, but it doesn't happen over bumps in the road, only when I accelerate. Any idea what problem I could have created when I did the head gasket job??....Bob

·
Administrator
17,389 Posts
The ignition light also comes on every time it hesitates and the tach dies.
Although I don't the specifics of the Motronic system in your '91 Spider, the fact the tach dies would indicate a failure of the ignition system. Check all connections at the coil (don't assume - remove, clean & secure them) and also any ground connections (again - remove, clean & secure). How is the igntion switch? Any stumbles if you fiddle with the key? Do you have a lot of keys or heavy weight dangling from the key ring? Sometimes too much weight on a key ring can damage the ignition switch.

BTW, I wanted to give you a wise-a$$ reply by saying, "it's not missing - it's right there in your garage...!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric...I found it!!! it was in my garage all along! Thanks for the suggestions, you were right, it was a bad ground connection. Kind of dumb on my part not to see it. After I did my head gasket job I put up a post about it not starting but soon afterwords found that I didn't connect the ground wire to the rear of the block on the passenger side. Today I learned that there are two ground wires there, not just one. Live and learn......................Bob

·
Registered
416 Posts
Bob, don't feel bad. I did the exact same thing when I R&R'd my head (cylinder head, that is. Probably should have R&R'd the head on my shoulders, too!). The injectors would not fire and I spent two weeks and enlisted the help of several on this BB as I went through much of the electrical system including the ECU and the ignition switch before I spotted the unattached wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts