Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to clean my basement out of all the useless junk, and trust me, there's quite a lot of it. I replaced my Base cloth interior with one from a "S" over ten years ago, and thus I've had this complete (F & R) set of seats I've been hanging on to. I can't imagine anyone would want them - I'm thinking I should just pull the motors and blue boxes and toss the rest.

Yes, no, maybe???

·
Premium Member
27,274 Posts
You know how I feel about grey velour cloth seats and I have two sets in storage and another set in my daughter's wrecked B. Still driving my B with them in it.

If yours are gray, how good is your rear seat back including back side of head rests? I am loosing ground to sun exposure.

If your covers and beading are good maybe you could carefully remove lower skins from fronts and rear back and make me a deal I could not refuse if you decide to part them out.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I would definitely remove the upholstery if they are in good shape. I'm sure someone here would want them. These cars are getting older by the day and original good upholstery is going to get scarce.
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,807 Posts
If you were closer Id pick them up! Love those seats. Best ones!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've also grown to appreciate cloth interiors over leather over the years, but my S interior came out of a car totaled with 400-miles, and it's still rather minty - it's what I'm sticking with. Also, the original owner smoked, so I seem to recall that there are some cigarette burns in the fabric. Interestingly enough, I did "sniff" one of the seats the other day, and the smokey smell is all but gone. I guess 15 years in a smoke-free environment, that stuff does eventually break down.

If I do decide to toss them, the fabric will come off - good input on that. I'll certainly give you first refusal on it Steve.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Charles is right, even the seemingly-undesirable becomes desirable to those of us seeking that 80's-style originality. For the record, I'm looking for early-style (herringbone centre-pattern) blue velour seats as used in my '89 164. Mine are severely sun-faded (backs of seats have become a light-brown colour). I'm hopeful there are better ones out there from cars that have been garaged, as the material seems unworn, just faded.

Based on my experience of other cars, I reckon it can be a challenge removing material from seats (often there are hidden metal rods through the cushion base holding the fabric in place through calico tubes). So if anyone happens to have seats that fit the criteria, perhaps put up a photo please just to be certain before you go to the trouble of disassembly? Cheers.

-Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts