Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is reprint of the ad I posted on Craigslist in Santa Clara, CA. Feel free to contact me via this forum with any questions or to see the car.

Selling my 1991 164S, a rare gem at less than 48,300 miles as of this writing. Carfax is available upon request. Asking $9,500.

I bought this car in June of this year with the intention of making it my daily driver following the return of my leased Giulia. This was my 5th 164 in over two decades, so I knew when I found it that it was an excellent representative of the 164 models, especially as it was nicely cared for by its previous owner. Having spent a good amount of money on a few repairs, again with the full intention of keeping it forever, I realized that my stick-sift days are over, and my desire for the modern niceties of the Giulia are more important, so the 164 has to find a new home in order for a new Giulia to return to my driveway.

If you know these cars, then you will (like I did when I bought it), appreciate the car's condition and how some typically troublesome areas have been taken care of. The shocks work as designed with firmness evident when the Sport button on the console is pushed, and comfortably set when Auto is engaged. The A/C blows cool air, and the heater warms things up. All gauges work, as does the central locking mechanism and all windows. The hood and trunk shocks are also in good shape. The interior looks much better in person that the pictures make it appear, however, there is some wear showing. Still, the leather is supple and smells wonderful (if you have owned a 164 before you know what I mean).

Since June, I have had the car worked on at Roselli's in San Jose, likely the most reputable shop for Italian cars in the Bay Area. Work done included:
- Front axles, rotors, hub assemblies, calipers (rebuilt), and complete brake fluid flush to correct a vibration that would show up occasionally
- Oil pressure sending unit (low pressure light was working fine)
- Oil change
- Comprehensive review of the car so that any issues would be addressed (none were found)

Prior to my buying the car, in the past year the car got (all at Continental Motors):
- New stepper motors ($4K on this alone)
- New timing belt and tensioner
- New battery
- New tires
- New A/C tensioner bearing
- New right front motor mount
- New accessory belts
- New water pump
- New starter
- Verified sealing of AC

The car's first owner installed an aftermarket Pioneer stereo with MB Quart amps and speakers, that while outdated by modern standards, make for a powerful stereo. Frankly, I have used it only once as I bought the car to have that V6 in charge of sound entertainment!

Although there is no paint fading anywhere on the car, and there are no typical clear coat issues, there is what appears to be a long scratch along the rear side of the car. The lower portion of the passenger mirror has also lost some paint (my previous 164s were exactly the same for some reason).

Along with the car you will get an extra set of wheels/tires (previous owner got them to replace the spare one).

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Were the C pillars and trunk lid repainted, or is the clear just faded?
Just curious.
Regardless, looks like nice clean car overall -- and a sub-50k mile 164 is not easy to find. Seems like a fair price. Good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the delay folks. Work got the best of me... To answer the questions: No, there is no fading in the paint on the C-pillar. Was the reflection indeed (cloudy day when I took pics). The paint is ok - a 10 yarder as they say. Apart from the scratch in the rear right quarter (pic on Craigslist), it can use some elbow grease to get some good wax on. I did not do this so that the new owner will have a clear picture of the state of the car. It really is a wonderful car, and although my interests seem to now lie on the convenience of the Giulia, I always found the V6 sound to be intoxicating, hence the buy back in June. I am lowering the price as the interest in the car has not exactly been overwhelming!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts