Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting my '91 164 S up for a sale. i recently bought a new Gulia and have nowhere to keep her so I've priced her to move quickly as I hate to see it sit outside. I'd rather see a good daily driver go to a nice Alfista home. I'll try and be as thorough as possible with the description. It has been sitting for approx. 3.5 weeks but fired right up today with a jump...see the comment on the battery below.

I bought the car from a gentleman in Miami 5 years ago ( it had 78,000 miles at the time) and had it shipped up here to Iowa (now has 121,000)...its been garage kept (heated) up until last month and never driven in the snow. I used it as a daily driver for most of its life with me. Many repairs were done by either European Motors in Cedar Rapids or J & J Motorsports in Marion. I did a few repairs myself.

Interior:
Her condition is like most 164's of this age, exterior could use a professional paint job ....I painted it recently (DYI) since the clear coat was peeling and from 15' it looks pretty good but definitely NOT a pro job. Maybe a good professionally buffing would make a big difference......Areas between door windows were never finished. Interior is as you would expect from a 30 year old alfa.......decent but the front seats show normal wear...back seats are in nice condition which is to be expected since there were rarely passengers back there. Heated seats do not work....all seat adjustments work but the passenger switch can be temperamental for the up/down adjustment. . After market radio was added with Sirius XM. Antenna does not go up or down.

The interior trunk lid liner was removed for painting but has not been reinstalled......the trunk floor never had a solid liner...just the fabric draped over the spare tire.

Engine:
The engine is in good shape....runs very strong and does not overheat. As I said above I used it as my daily driver for most of the 5 years I had it. ( I replaced the temp sensor, fan shroud resister and fan motor recently) Fan motor (used) fan motor resister and coolant switch replaced 6 months ago.
I changed the oil religiously at 3,000 miles with 0-40 synthetic...... It is still a joy to drive.

The bad:
The ABS light came on just recently...probably a bad sensor as the brakes work......
Brake warning lights come on from time to time as well.......may have something to do with the fact that I removed the truck mounted brake light.
The battery will not hold a charge....a short somewhere.
There is an oil leak probably in the rear main seal.....I have not addressed but just stay on top of the oil level.
I can't get the brakes to lock up.....new pads and calipers so it may require a new brake booster? Brakes do work.
Radio antenna does not work
Battery will not hold a charge....must be a short somewhere.
Seat belt cover on driver side is buggered up......the seat belt locks up from time to time and requires access to the spindle at the bottom so I had to get to it.....attachment teeth were brittle and some broke so the cover is lose
Driver side interior door handle has broken...I have a new one but is not installed.
Headlights should be replaced......glass covers are coming separated from rest of unit....currently taped.
Bumper mounted headlight washer on driver side was glued on by previous owner..it has come off. the water pipe feeding it is broken.
Fog lights don't work.....may just be a bad connection from the time the bumper was removed for painting.
I had an intermittent issue with the idle jumping around last year....it has not shown up for several months. May be the RPM sensor getting old or perhaps dirty so it is messing with the reading.
Passenger window moves a bit slowly......regulator works but getting tired.
Slight crack in the windshield..passenger side down at the bottom....can 't really see it unless you really look for it.

Repairs and maintenance that have been made:

Timing belt and water-pump at 101,000, serpentine belt at same time.
All new tires and rims last year....new brake pads and calipers all around withing last 4 months
Alternator replaced
Fuel pump 3 years ago
New shocks all around....replaced electronic shocks with regular shocks from Alfissimo
Mass airflow sensor replaced.
New spark plug wires and spark plugs
AC upgraded to new refrigerant
Heater core replaced 3 years ago
Fan motor (used) fan motor resister and coolant switch replaced 6 months ago
There have been more items fixed or replaces but my file is at my office..(.I can provide a more elaborate list upon request)

Feel free to PM me or call 319-631-8075

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a misprint........its worth more but it needs to go.....debated on asking more but don't need it hanging around.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Like those wheels very much. are they 16 or 15, and if you have another set of wheels, are those possibly for sale ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wheels are 17's, I don't have another set for sale, sorry

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
What a fun driver! This probably won't last long. I sure do miss my old 164S. This one has a nice vibe.

By the way, the if "idle jumping around" was only after cold starting in warm weather, it could have been caused by a weak battery. I had this issue on my car. New battery solved it. Funny - it never did it on really cold starts and never did it on hot starts.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in Eastern Iowa: Mt Vernon

·
Premium Member
9,747 Posts
This is a good car, I know for a fact he maintained it. We just rebuilt the rear calipers and have supplied pretty much everything for the car. I would not hesitate at this price. Sure it needs a little love but for $800.00 it's a deal!

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Is there confirmation of the car being sold or is it available? Kinda weird that conversation just dropped of the edge without any clarification.
What's up, does anyone know? I'd kinda like to know :unsure:

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Thank you,,,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts