Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes...I am selling my lovely Alfa. It makes me sad, but I must sell it!
Car info:
1991 Black/black 5spd 164L 138,000 miles on car, about 45,000 miles on rebuilt 164 S engine.
These things were done when new engine went in (all have about 45k miles):
Rebuilt gearbox with updated bearing
New flywheel
Motormounts
Hoses, etc.
Rear brake discs/ pads

Things that have been replaced recently:
New radiator
New water pump
New oil sender
New heater core
New front brake discs/ pads
All new front suspension bushings (Powerflex)
New cap & rotor
Timing belt
A/C filter
used Steering rack (with all new tie rods & new ball joints)
used Alternator
K&N Air filter
Various hoses
New clutch slave & clutch master
Yokohama AVS dB tires (75% of tread left)
Magnaflow free-flow rear muffler (sounds phenomenal)

This car is in good condition overall. It's not a showcar, but it's clean. The clearcoat on the paint has taken it's toll on the hood, roof, and started on the trunk. They need paint. The vertical surfaces of the car have great paint. Car was waxed frequently. The motor is very strong. The engine bay is the jewel of this car. The valve covers are powder coated red, the Alfa Romeo script sanded down to stand out silver against the red. The covers are held on by custom tapped chrome dome nuts. The plenum is painted silver.

Stepper motor is broken (aren't they all), and I chose not to bother with the fix - since the air still works, and that's all I cared about.
Interior front seats are worn, and driver side seat bottom is torn on the stitching seams. The rear leather power seats are perfect.
This car has new front Infinity speakers (the rear ones are still good). There is also a 10disc Sony CD changer. This car also comes with the euro projection headlights, here is a link from a previous thread, just scroll down until you see my pic:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90&highlight=164+euro+headlights
Asking $4,300

For pictures of my car go to www.fastalfas.com and click on 'Shannon's 164L'

If you have any questions, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Shannon

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Selling the the Alfa is a bummer indeed. Can you share with us whats next on the list? Shall we change your screen name to "350z-Girl" or "Audi-Girl"? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
67GTV said:
Pssst Simon, she's now known as "SVT Girl :)"
Hey, how did you know that...you know who I am, do I know you? :cool:

...oh yeah, and I will always be an Alfa girl :D I don't have any pictures of SVT Foci on my walls...but I sure do have Alfas all over 'em!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Alfa Girl :-) said:
Hey, how did you know that...you know who I am, do I know you? :cool:

...oh yeah, and I will always be an Alfa girl :D I don't have any pictures of SVT Foci on my walls...but I sure do have Alfas all over 'em!
Nah, I don't know you. I just read about your purchase in the 164 headlight thread. You can call off Chip now. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also being sold with my car are 8mm red Magnecore wires :D They match the red valve covers.
Price has been revised $4300 obo

thanks!
Shannon

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Wow. $4300 eh.

But why would I do that when I can buy a USED Hyundai Elantra GT, leather seats, Kraco aftermarket 200W (RMS) stereo, power windows, fuzzy dice, disc rear brakes instead of drum rears as on Sentras, Kragen seat covers, air, 2 liter motor about 130 hp (new they had 140hp), with the remainder of a 10 year 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty, 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, and 5 years unlimited mileage free roadside service 800 number (even coming out to change a tire) for around $5,500 INCLUDING all tax and license fees, and unpaid parking tickets.

Why would I, even though I'm a long time Alfa guy, consider the $4000 Alfa 164?

I know not everyone can get that kind of a discount, and a Hyundai isn't an Alfa, but...

... oh wait. This is a topic that we've already beaten to death in a different thread haven't we?

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Good luck selling the 164 AlfaGirl!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nizam you confuse me sometimes... ;) An Elantra? With leather seats? Oh boy. That post was...uh...weird. Oh I know! You're just makin' fun of me again!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Nizam's not making fun of you Shannon. This leads back to a different message thread. But he is poking fun at someone. :)

nizam said:
Good luck selling the 164 AlfaGirl!
Generally speaking, it's not spelled AlfaGirl, but rather Alfa Girl :).

·
Registered
484 Posts
Generally speaking, only the general can speak for the general!!!!!!!!! God bless you NIZAM!!!!!!! Obviously Etceterini has alienated himself amongst the Alfanatics with his ridiculous Hyundai diatribe!! If you're an Alfisti, you buy and enjoy the best Alfa you can find. Period, end of statement!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Alfagirl:) If you go to the thread were I put my 164LS up for sell you will see how hyundais become of topic. It starts about ten post into the six pages and 80 post of opinions, debates and ramblings. It is only worth looking if you are truely bored. By the way if you find a buyer looking for a good automatic send them my way, and I'll send any 5 speeder to you.

alfacupp:) ...... hey can I use that too ........just kidding I won't use it agin.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Truly bored? My ramblings are amongst the most eloquent, thought provoking, insightful, and poigniant on this bb. Shanon, I say read the general and you will elevate your mental status.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Dear Azzurri (with 2 r's), go to the thread "this may be silly" and read the post by NikosF. Very thought provoking, don't you agree? The general.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
General...I've never had

an Alfa that I "could enjoy any time I wanted to"..and I've had a lot of Alfas. Yes they are great cars, but It's a ***** to find parts sometimes and even if you have a mechanic that knows what he is doing it can take weeks or even months to get things done because of this. I also do not agree with those who claim Alfas to be "as reliable as most other cars". That's certainly has NOT been my personal experience. I suggested the Elantra GT as it is a rather nice new "daily driver" type vehicle at a very reasonable price, for someone who wants/needs absolute reliability in a car that still has some "fun factor".

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Uh-oh!! Here we go again!

Listen Dr. Etceterini, I'm going to tell it like it is:

First, this thread is supposed to help Shannon find a new home for her nice 164 with the 'S' engine, not to further the sales of Hyundai vehicles, no matter how good you may believe them to be.

Second, in general terms, this is the AlfaBB, not the HyundaiBB. Please, let's try and keep it that way.

Third, you may have negative things to say about Alfa reliability, but I happen to know lots of folks who would disagree, particularly those who know how to do their own maintenance and know where to get parts. Personally, I drive a 1969 Spider 1300 back and forth to work every day. The car is 34 years old, runs like a train and almost never lets me down. My Milano Verde requires only fuel and oil and regular maintenance and breaks less frequently than many of my co-workers Japanese, American, German and Korean cars. My friend's 164L (which he has owned since new) has over 250,000 miles on it and has required only normal maintenance and the replacement of a few worn-out parts in 12 years of daily driving. I could go on and on, but I won't.

Fourth, you have obviously had some bad experiences with your several Alfas, that I will not dispute. But many of the cars that you have described (2600 et. al.) ARE known to be a bit finnicky, and as the General has said: You get what you pay for! I would not hesitate - if I had the money that either Alfacupp or Alfa Girl:) want for their cars - to buy and immediately take on a cross-country run, either of their 164s. Alfa reliability has come a long way since 195? and, if you know what you're doing...you can keep a 164 as a daily driver very easily!

Fifth, I can't even begin to imagine how you could compare the driving experience of a well-tuned 164 (or any Alfa) with that of the Elantra! The 'feel' of the Alfa 164 is truly Italian, with a luxurious twist, while the Elantra (I haven't driven a 2003 GT, but I have been aboard as a passenger) really isn't even in the same ballpark!

Finally, I ask you as a fellow Alfisti, please cease your writings about Hyundai in the AlfaBB. It really is inappropriate, especially as you work for them, OK?

Thanks,

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
with all due respect...

you sound like the kind of person that believes that your religion is the only valid one. I am entitled to express my opinion a much as anyone else here!

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Yes DR. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion, and I very much enjoy reading your very knowledgeable entries concerning old Alfas. Your knowledge of Alfa history and the whereabouts of many of these spectacular cars is amazing!

I really don't want you to think that I don't value your opinion, or that you shouldn't voice it. All I am really saying is that I believe that your posts about how the 164 isn't your 'cup of tea', and about how you like the Hyundai Elantra should be reserved for a different type of thread. Maybe start a separate thread called "Why I would rather have a Hyundai"?

In addition, it is probably in better 'taste' to avoid praising the products of the company for which you work on this site, and in particular in a thread which was made to assist a member in selling their personal car.

This really isn't about my 'religion'.

Now bow down in praise of the Serpent and Cross!:D

Cheers and no hard feelings, OK?

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
no hard feelings...

but some tend to treat Alfadom as if it is a religion; opposing opinions are not tolerated. I love Alfas. I've had LOTS of them. My PERSONAL experience is that they are as much a pain to maintain as they are fun to dricve. PERSONALLy I have zero interest in anything after the 105 series cars, except for the current models...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sorry doc, not only would I not drive a Hyundai, I wouldn't even drive a BMW because of their commonplace presence. They are ubiquitous and anonymous all at once. Much like an Elantra. An Alfisti only prays at the Alfa alter!!! The general.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts