Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whenever I drive my 164,if I hit any kind of bump the front suspension jams into a fully compressed position and then the ride gets really nasty. I can get the suspension to un jam by lifting one side and then the other back and forth with a jack until both are good. If I lift one side the otherside usually gets jammed until I lift it.

Anyone have anyidea what's getting jammed, it feels to me like something needs to be greased. It seems like the shock absorber is getting caught it place by a lateral (side to side) force that is released when you jack up the car and let the suspension hang with no forces on it.

·
Premium Member
27,524 Posts
Sounds like you have binding strut shafts probably from remains of old bump stops that have stuck to piston shafts making a sticky goo that is not inside top end cap seal of strut housing. Also you probably have now lost gas charge on top of oil inside strut.

If you also have a damaged rubber boot inside spring jack up car an inspect chrome piston shaft for sticky goo where it enters strut housing.

I lost a koni insert due to this condition. I could not clean goo off shaft that was inside top end cap and it would not rebound even though it had a good gas charge still in it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts