Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 164L with almost 150K on it. I got back to the car on my way home, unlocked it like normal (key is fine), but could not get the key fully into the ignition.

It slides halfway in and seems to hit a solid obstruction. I have always been able to take the key out when the car is running, and this has led me to remove the key in a simultaneous pulling and rotating motion. Could this action have placed the ignition switch into such a orientation that the key is obstructed?

I tried lubricating the switch and poking around with some hex keys this morning with no luck, I will try again tonight.

Otherwise if the ignition switch is stuck how easy is it to disassemble the steering column, release the steering lock, and hotwire the car so i can get it home for further attention?

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The instructions in that post are very helpful, thanks. The car is in a campus lot so I have some ability to work on it where it sits. The wheels are turned slightly (and the steering wheel is locked of course) but if needed I should also be able to get it home on a half trailer.

How much force does that special steering wheel puller require when pushing that center thread. Could that force be achieved by manually pulling on the wheel (or is it mainly an alignment issue)?

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts
There are two threaded inserts in the steering wheel that the puller studs screw into and they are small M6 size (not your off the self AutoZone puller)

Depending how tight the nut was torqued to hold steering wheel on will determine whether you can get wheel off without special puller.

Torx 27 needed to get air bag off. I think I stated that in post. Then you need three phillips screws out to unlock air bag clock spring from wheel before you try to yank/frap/hit steering wheel shaft.

If you don't have a puller you can try my old trick to knock off a flywheel on a lawnmower crankshaft without any special tools. How to do it, screw nut back onto steering column shaft flush with threaded end so nut face and shaft face parallel/flush with each other. Now with your one lower arm, elbow and upper arm wrapped under wheel and pulling up, hit the nut and shaft straight on with a nice medium sized hammer and see if you can pop wheel loose off steering column shaft.

Maybe you can have a friend use his/her arm or frap with the hammer if that works for you.

Report your success or if you care to your not success.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts