Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Has anyone figured out how to remove the headlamp washer assembly from the bumper cover?

CARDISC shows the washer nozzle separated from the top of the stem, but it does not describe how this is achieved.

I tried to separate the nozzle from the stem using a broken assembly but only manage to break it further.

The nozzle appears to turn about 10 degrees on the top of the stem but I could not get it to pull off.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated - these items are scarce so we need to do it right first time.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Folks,

I went ahead and did what all Alfa Folks do in a tight spot - I figured it out myself as best I could.

I cut the washer unit bracket on its rear side so that it would detach from the unit.

Once cut with a DREMEL tool, or as I did with a small hand saw the bracket can bend carefully over the unit so that the unit can can be pulled through the bumper.
Once the new unit is pushed back through the rectangular bumper hole the bracket can again be carefully opened to fit around the washer housing.
The washer unit wiggles very tightly through the rectangular bumper hole so do this very carefully as these parts break easily.
I destroyed one good washer unit in the practice run......

The picture shows the bracket with the cut in rear (not in the front or you will render the bracket useless).
Once screwed back in place the bracket holds as well as ever.....

I could not find any other way to detach or re-install the headlight washer unit.

Ta,

Neville.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The washer head just pulls off, a nice abrupt yank is required. But alas, this plastic is 20 years old and it may or may not behave. As you know the shank often binds in the holdert so many washers don't work properly. Sanding the tube with 220 grit sandpaper may be the only way to slim down the tube so it will move up and down without binding.

I realize this information comes too late to help you.

P.S. I'm very sorry about your accident.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pinino,

I had figured from the CARDISC diagram that the top had to come off somehow but was not sure whether it was to twist and snap or push and twist etc.
As you say the plastic shatters very easily so I was reluctant to strong arm anything .
In any event I broke the shaft, but of course one new nozzle became available from the crashed Alfa.
I was determined not to break that one.....

I might use one of the broken units to "practice" your "yank" technique.

Ta,

Neville.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts