Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing this as a courtesy for someone.

Their 91 164 L will turn over fine but will not start.

However, when the fuel line to rail (passenger side) is removed the car will start.

The car is sitting dead currently. I haven't had a look at it so this is all I know.

Any suggestions please?

·
Premium Member
27,286 Posts
I find that hard to believe. If you can get a engine to run without fuel line hooked to it the gas mileage must be unbelieveable.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well as it is sitting it is getting zero mpg!

Maybe I misunderstood him. what if it was the driver side line from rail? He claims that it wont start with line hooked up, but it will no problem without line hooked up. Says he can fill up a 20 oz bottle with fuel in seconds... from that line....

I'm just trying to trouble shoot over the phone...probably not a great idea.

Again, this is via telephone..and I don't know much about the car.

·
Premium Member
27,286 Posts
Is this a new to him 164 he bought none running or did he work on fuel pump in the fuel tank?

If fuel lines hooked up properly at tank top then fuel pump pressure line should be one on front of engine (passenger side on LHD models).

Fuel return line back to tank from fuel regulator on back of engine (driver side LHD model).

It needs to be determined which line is pressure and which one is return and if hooked up backwards at tank top the need to be reversed (corrected).

Now if reversed at tank can you actually force fuel backwards through fuel pressure regulator and get engine to run I don't know.

Maybe somebody could have also replaced short rubber hoses and reversed lines below and behind power steering pump area at lower firewall.

It sounds like maybe "Murphy's Law" has gone into action here.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is new to him. I sold it to him with full disclosure, but it was starting up and running fine. Don't get me wrong the car needs work.
He says he has done nothing yet to the car. I feel bad because it was running when I sold it to him and now it's not....

So Murphy's Law perhaps, Steve.

Forgetting for a moment that the car starts when one line is removed, besides the spark plugs (which he says he checked) what else could possibly cause the car to turn over fine but not start?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
You said that the car runs already (with the fuel line disconnected) so we know that it runs, which means there shouldn't be any ignition problems. So no need to look other places. The problem IS fuel line related in some way. We know that the pump works because he tested that. The fuel return line to the tank is the line that comes off the fuel pressure regulator and goes to the false firewall and then down under the car and back to the tank. The pass. (On LHD) side fuel line is the delivery line, make sure that line is delivering the fuel. So I would do what Steve said and make sure all the lines are hooked up correctly and then make sure the return line is not clogged and fuel can flow back to the tank. I might even put a new FPR on there while at it (especially if it was hooked up wrong).
Charles

·
Registered
573 Posts
I find that hard to believe. If you can get a engine to run without fuel line hooked to it the gas mileage must be unbelieveable.
Wonder if that car is for sale, I'd love something like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts