Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my 164 seems to be having a weird problem in which my dash lights won’t turn off. They have turned off once or twice when I’ve been on the high way but that seems to be a rare occurrence. I recently changed the battery as it was dated but no luck there. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is a light test button on the left hand side of the dash behind steering wheel. It’s possible it got pushed a little hard and is stuck on or the spring in the button isn’t keeping the contacts apart any more causing permanent lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Are you stating that your dash lights remain 'on' even when your headlights are in the off position? Do they remain 'on' even after you remove the key from the ignition or not? Please provide more information.

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of the dash lights remain on such as the engine light, fog lights, turns signal lights so on. So even if my head lights were on the off position, the dash light remains on. I believe ABlucas is on to something with that test button. I’m reading up on how I can remove the panel to get behind the test switch.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Goats provided these instructions to get to the dimmer switch, which is right next to your test button (edited slightly). They worked great for me -just take your time and don't force anything too hard.

So, take out that little panel below/in front of the instrument cluster by carefully prying out the edge panels (the one on the left has the test/trip/zero label and the opposite one is just a blank panel, both are about 1/2 high or so by 4 or so inches long). Stick a thin screwdriver under the edge and pry it out carefully, both sides. remove the lamp from the left one.

There's one Phillips screw under each panel, take them out, lower the fuse box door and take out the two below holding the bottom edge.

Pull that panel off carefully, it comes straight out. The center (directly behind the steering wheel) will hang up, just a firm pull (on both sides) will free it. Remove the panel and the connections on the left side (three switches, and the dimmer control).

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice on getting to the test switch. I would of never guessed to take those two panels off. Unfortunately the test switch isn’t the problem. Time to do some more research

1 - 6 of 6 Posts