Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are you guys using in the axle, gear box and steering box?

Straight 90...where are you getting it..

I almost have the axle back togther...talk about a job! I replaced the bearings and cones, seals If you have never done this let me tell you... it takes many hours getting the backlash and spacing correct! You have to follow the shop manuel and make a few special tools... Still not done but getting closer... So what are you using for rear end grease?

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Can't speak for the steering box. For my rear axle and tranny, I used Royal Purple gear oil. Its a synthetic. Made my tranny shift much smoother and quieted down my rear dif quite a bit (it needs a rebuild as it howls a bit at 60mph). Safe for brass components.
Lucas has a similiar product.

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts
For my track car diff I use Redline synthetic, I think 75/90 NS. For street cars I use a name brand normal 85/90, have never had problems.
I use Redline MT90 in my trans, not the same as the diff oil. For Royal Purple it may be different. My experience is synthetic trans oil improves the shifting a lot when cold, including synchro action, but after warm-up is not that different. Still, it's better oil.
Andrew

·
Richard Jemison
7,392 Posts
Lubes

The redline 75-90 NS has the additives to make the syncros function correctly, where other GL5 lubes do not, and are too slipery for the syncros.
In Trans and transaxles use 75-90 NS only! Same for LSD diffs.

For open differentials with lots of miles on them use a heavier oil. Either a 140 wt Syn ot normal GL5 or GL4 lube.

F

1 - 4 of 4 Posts