Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90 Graduate with 30,000 miles. Since I bought it from the Alfa dealer in 1992, the car runs quiet when it is cold. As soon as the heats up it sounds like a singer sewing machine. It seems to be coming from the intake and exhaust valve train. I also loose a quart of oil every 500 miles but the compression tests are good. I tried reshimming the valves to spec, cold twice per the manual and there was no change in the sound or oil consumption. I've heard other Alfas and they don't sound like this one. Any ideas?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I would check to see if any exhaust manifold nuts have backed off. An exhaust leak at the seal between the Head and the Manifold is very common and sounds like valve train noise although it seems the Series 4 engines were always rather "clicky".

The oil consumption problem. I would look for any leaks and fix. If there is oil in the coolant, maybe a head retorque is needed or its time for a Head Gasket change. I would also do a cleaning of the PCV system. Remove the Oil Vapor Separator and clean out the insides with carb. cleaner or gasoline. Make sure the small hose from the separator to the dipstick return is not blocked up.Clean or replace the hose if it is.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts