Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a Spider and the manufacture date is reporting it's built in 12/90 but the VIN reports it's a 1991. I recognize manufacturers often bump model years in the autumn when they bring new models to the showroom floor. However, my question is if I buy this, what model year do I use for parts?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
It's a Series 4 1991. Model year starts earlier than calendar year. My car (which is most definitely an S4 and was sold as a '91) was actually built 2/90.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. The car has some parts needing replacement and if I do end up bringing it home, I'd like to get a head start on a couple. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
there was an interim MY 1990 USA spider that we have sort of named the S3.5

easy to tell...
if the car has a power steering pump it is an S4

S3.5 Motronic
S3.5 engine no PS.jpg
S4 Motronic
S4 engine PS.jpg

·
Registered
827 Posts
Alfa Romeo (actually cars was 100% assembled by Pininfarina, Grugliasco) began to make Series 4 Spider in June of 1989. Only 10 cars were assembled in June-July of 1989. Then 10 cars in October-November, 1989. All of them were pre-production cars for tests, arranged by the factory fake spy shots and press photo sets.

This USA Veloce version is from June, 1989 and was painted in Vinaccia Red (or Rosso Winner)

Full scale production of S4 began in December of 1989 (86 cars) and last till July 1993.
Some of the pre-production Spiders had weird options as for instance this USA Base version with European beige carpets, 15" phone dials wheels,black hand brake lever and central panel, electric mirrors switch from S3 and rear fog lights. And it had weird color.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the data. The images the seller has provided show the power steering pump. It's definitely an S4.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts