Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:(Sorry but to be perfectly honest with you, any car that costs wayy to much for me to buy and drive doesn't really interest me. Same goes for the SLR Mercedes, a 427SC or a Mercedes Gullwing.:mad:Depressing thoughts indeed.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The 8C keeps getting positive reviews... :)

Best regards,

·
Registered
403 Posts
The 8C keeps getting positive reviews... :)

Best regards,
I find it rediculous that Alfa is "coming back" with a car that no one can have/drive. The few that make it to these shores will be owned by [email protected]#holes for investment/collection purposes. The fact that it is being given to a magazine for review is likely a payola scam to legitimize it's collection status. Who will benefit from that write up or for that matter any performance attributes of the 8C? It will not be driven.

I am curious to see how the "apparant success" of the 8C waiting list and over sticker sales will translate into Alfa selling sporty people movers to the masses. Don't get me wrong, I would likely buy a 159 diesel today if I could. I just don't see how a Plastica Fistallini (carbon fiber supercar) quarter of a million dollar unobtanium set of wheels makes me look forward to when they send over something sporty, efficient and affordable.

Off of my soapbox.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I find it rediculous that Alfa is "coming back" with a car that no one can have/drive. The few that make it to these shores will be owned by [email protected]#holes for investment/collection purposes. The fact that it is being given to a magazine for review is likely a payola scam to legitimize it's collection status. Who will benefit from that write up or for that matter any performance attributes of the 8C? It will not be driven.

I am curious to see how the "apparant success" of the 8C waiting list and over sticker sales will translate into Alfa selling sporty people movers to the masses. Don't get me wrong, I would likely buy a 159 diesel today if I could. I just don't see how a Plastica Fistallini (carbon fiber supercar) quarter of a million dollar unobtanium set of wheels makes me look forward to when they send over something sporty, efficient and affordable.

Off of my soapbox.
Well, Andy, you have certainly surprised me with this view... Not that I mind your view, but mine is very different. Not only do I enjoy reading positive articles about the 8c, but I would rather have my Alfa associated with a company that did market a supercar than one that never did, even if said car is derived from a sister company. I do think that the name recognition makes a difference when marketing a product, and I do think that if there is a re-entry to the U.S. market, it will benefit from this. I also have nothing against those who can afford $200k+ for a car, although I could probably never bring myself to pay this (obscene) amount for a car, even if I won the lottery. Furthermore, I won't call an Alfa 8c owner an [email protected]#hole or assume that an 8c will not be enjoyed. If anything, I believe in being cordial to all people, including those who are wealthy. As far as marketing to the masses, I expect that these will be the same masses that BMW caters to today, which is pretty much in line with what Alfa did when they were selling cars in the U.S. I too would love to see affordable Alfa sports car on these shores, but I just don't feel compelled to denounce higher priced vehicles because of that... And if Alfa never comes back, or never offers a vehicle I can afford, I'll treasure even more the ones that I am able to have. :)

Best regards,

·
Registered
309 Posts
.... I would rather have my Alfa associated with a company that did market a supercar than one that never did, even if said car is derived from a sister company. ...
I agree. The 8C brings some additional excitement to the Alfa name. How can anyone dislike a car that sounds like this:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sorry all I have misplaced a bad day in a rant! I am a track instructor that helps with the local Exotic car dealers when they sponsor track days. The local Maserati salesman and fellow Alfa owner exclaimed mid summer that his dealership had some number of deposits on the incoming 8C equal to about 25% of the total US destined cars. He felt they would only be able to deliver on about 5% of their orders for the 8C and that they would all go either directly into a collection or on E-bay. My A-hole comment was not to those who can afford, but rather those who view sportscars as a commodity like corn or oil.
I am frustrated with Alfa. My family had a Alfa dealership when I was 8 years old. I have been in love with them for 30+ years and want them to come back and succeed. The Alfa has always been the "poor man's Ferrari". Or as I like to think a Ferrari you can afford to actually drive hard and maintain. The 8c is a Ferrari. I would have been much more excited to see the DIVA concept introduced to compete with all of those funky pokymon looking Lotus Elise buzing around. A Lotus Elise with style is a viable market niche. There are thousands of VW TDI sedans that could be replaced with the 159 JTDM. I simply think there are easier market niches that could support Alfa's return than a VERY limited edition.
It is kind of like watching NASCAR and going to Toyota and saying "I want one of those rear drive v-8 Camry's"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts