Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set of six original Borranis 19 x 4.00 52R 84 Spoke wheels. Professionally checked by Precision Wire Wheels in IL. Incredibly original, unrestored wheels with provenance. Serious inquiries only, please. Private Mail me if interested.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Wheels

I have seen photos but they are not mine to share here.

No negative aspersions intended here. Just trying to help.

It seems that the seller got the "8C2300/8C2900" application information from a more modern Borrani listing that has some misleading size information for some of their wheels. I've seen this before even in some older listings that give hub sizes as "42/52" ... when it really should be one or the other, "42" or "52".

These wheels have "52mm" centers. Think "vintage Jaguar-sized" for a mental picture. Those centers will fit some 6C2300B, 6C2500 and perhaps quite a number of cars from different makers. Perhaps a few additional Alfa Romeo "corsa" cars as well? These wheels might do quite well on the front of a Tipo C?

These wheels will not fit a normally configured 8C2300 or 8C2900. Nor 6C1750, 6C1900 or early 6C2300(A). Those cars will require a wheel with a smaller splined center, generally known as "42mm". Think typical "MG-sized" ... or AH or Triumph ... and many Ferrari. The 42mm and 52mm sizes are reputedly an archaic reference to a bearing dimension used inside the earliest versions of these Rudge-Whitworth hub designs. There are smaller and larger hub sizes as well.

These 19" wheel rims could be laced on to correct 42mm hubs if those hubs are the correct design and are drilled for 84 spokes in an appropriate pattern. Then they might be used on 8C2300 and many additional cars from Alfa Romeo.

John

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wheels still available. Thank you John for clarification. These came from perhaps the most prominent collection of pre-war Alfas in the U.S. and have excellent provenance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts